Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Kama Sutra

Buying First DSLR

I used a point and shoot camera for over two years and feel that I have grown out of it and think I'm ready to buy my first DSLR. I read some reviews of major brands entry level cameras but things are very confusing to me. I like to shoot primarily people, flowers, and landscape. I appreciate helping me select the right camera for me. Thanks for your help.

Re: Buying First DSLR

okay, so based on what you said, you'll want a wide, normal, and macro lens. Beyond that, can't really make any suggestions without knowing things like budget, portability needs, etc. I could advise a EOS 1Ds Mk III N, with a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.2, 16-35 f/2.8, plus a 200mm f/4 macro. There you are up past $10k. Or, maybe a T2i, plus 17-50 f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.8, there you are up to ~ $1.1k

How portable do you want it, where will you be taking it, how much do you want to spend, what unique features may be important to you, which ones are unimportant? Video recording, live-view, built in image stabilizer?

Whatever the situation, the rule of thumb is to spend as little as needed on the camera body itself, and as much of the budget dedicated to getting the quality lens you need.

Kama Sutra

Thanks Anbesol for responding. I can't spend more than $1,000 now even If I get only one lens. Taking videos with DSLR is unimportant since I have a video cam and rarely use it, but I'd like it to be as light weight as possible. When it comes to features, I have no clue but built in image stabilizer sounds useful so as live-view.

If you want to go really lightweight you may want to look at Olympus and their micro 4/3 cameras.

Canon D-Rebel line are fairly lightweight. My XSi is outweighed by most of my lenses.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

So, Sony SLT-A33/A55, Nikon D5000, Canon Rebel T2i are the primary cameras to look at in your price bracket. The Sony SLTs offer the best live-view mode of them all with the fastest live view autofocus (by a lot, too), as well as built in image stabilizer. Their SLT technology also makes them the quietest functioning, fastest video/live view AF.

Personally, and maybe I'm a bit biased here being a Sony user myself, I think the SLT series sound the most appealing. That said, all of those are very good cameras and will shoot excellent pictures.

Tamron makes a lens that would work with all of those systems that I think is worth looking at - the 17-50 f/2.8, which is a very fast lens, with excellent quality, and a uniquely convenient focal range. I'd compliment that with a 50mm f/1.7 or 1.8, which is also available on all 3 systems. The 17-50 being an excellent all-around, and particularly useful landscape. The 50mm being an exceptional portrait lens.

Honestly, in the interest of being fair and balanced I would like to say some advantage that Canon or Nikon has over those Sony's, but I honestly can't think of one. They are a more popular brand, I guess that is sort of an advantage. Hopefully someone else will chime in if they can think of any advantage to those cameras over the SLT's.

The lens I reccomended would be the same on all 3 systems though. So, my personal recommendation would be: Sony SLT-A33 Body only, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and 50mm f/1.7. Pushes the $1000 budget, maybe hold off the 50mm for a little later.

*edit - The SLT-A33 is going to be $650, tamrons lens is $350, and the 50mm f/1.7 is $100, so thats $100 over budget before tax and/or shipping. So, scratch the 50mm (for now), and it puts you squarely on $1k, is that possible for you?
    Last edited by Anbesol; 09-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amie
    I used a point and shoot camera for over two years and feel that I have grown out of it and think I'm ready to buy my first DSLR. I read some reviews of major brands entry level cameras but things are very confusing to me. I like to shoot primarily people, flowers, and landscape. I appreciate helping me select the right camera for me. Thanks for your help.
    Another opinion: It doesn't really matter which camera you buy. All of the cameras on the market today are capable of creating great images. The most important factor is YOUR willingness to spend the time and effort learning how to use your new camera. Since you don't have an investment in legacy lenses, go to the biggest camera store in town and play with as many of the cameras as possible. Find the one that "feels right" and go with it.

As you learn how to use the camera you will also discover the limits of the camera and kit lens. Just as you feel you've grown to the level where your point and shoot isn't doing what you want, decisions about new lenses and accessories will be made on a basis of experience and knowledge rather than comments on a web forum.

Keep your initial investment low, shoot the crap out of the new camera and learn all you can. Do that and the decision about your SECOND DSLR will be a breeze because you'll know what you need.

Eric in Atlanta

I did mention that they were all good cameras capable of excellent quality photos.

decisions about new lenses and accessories will be made on a basis of experience and knowledge rather than comments on a web forum.
    I'm sure shes capable of taking what is said on a web forum and considering things for herself. I don't think asking advice on a web forum is a bad thing.

Hello. You may want to look at the new Nikon D3100 which is much superior to the D5000. I am going to be picking one up on boxing day.

uhm, this is an old topic and looks like Amie hasn't come back so...

And her tag says kama sutra, which is sort of peculiar.

Thread Information