Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying DSLR, Help??

My mom and I are looking to get my dad a Digital SLR for Fathers Day and am not sure what to get. Looking to spend around $600-$750, might be able to stretch that a bit, but prefer not to. I have looked at the Nikon's (D60, D80) and a few other cameras in that price range. I know he would like another lens(I'm not sure what kind) thats a more popular lens to have. However, I know lenses are probably expensive and it might not be possible to get a good SLR and lens in the 600-750 dollar range, if not thats okay. I just want to make sure we get a good quality SLR for the money. He can always buy separate lenses later. The camera will be used for everything from fast-action motocross photos to family vacation photos. I am going to go to a camera store and get some opinions there as well, although I will probably buy online since its probably cheaper.Anyways, thanks for reading this long post and give me your opinions.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Buying DSLR, Help??

A nice gift for your father! Has he expressed an interest in photography and/or getting a dslr?
    As a photographer, I would be very leery of someone getting one for me as a gift unless they knew what I wanted. Personally I would get him a gift certificate to a place like B&H or Adorama or one of the other good dealers listed in our camera dealer feedback forum.

Recommended sites and sites to avoid
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

He is not a nooby to photography at all so he is definitely interested. I would agree that it would be better to get him a gift card so he could pick it out himself, however, we have done this before (he is verryy conservative with his money, and I mean very) at Christmas when we got him a Nikon D40 package deal (about $1000 value), back then it was a pretty nice camera. He ended up taking it back and pocketed the money. He meant to buy something again, but he changes his mind on what he wants every week and he keeps lowering the standard. My dad won't buy much of anything for himself and even if we got him a gift card he would just end up getting something cheap and save the rest). haha, so anyways, thats why we want to buy him a nice SLR camera ourselves, if he doesn't like it he can take it back. He said he likes the Canon Powershot SX10 IS, but its not even a true SLR and I'd rather get him something nicer. Sorry about the long post, but want to make sure you get the whole story.

Thats not a long post.

Anyways - a 50mm prime always offers great performance at very inexpensive price, all camera makers have the 50mm at around $100. I would avoid the Nikons without the built in AF motor, ala D5000/D40/D60. Some worth looking into - Canon 40D, Nikon D200 (a souped up D80), and an Sony A700. If being lightweight and very portable are the priority, a 4/3rds mount system may work very well for him (the new Panasonic Lumix DSLR). All in how he would want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by D3MOLITION
    He said he likes the Canon Powershot SX10 IS, but its not even a true SLR and I'd rather get him something nicer.
    I understand your situation but if that's what he said he likes then you shouldn't have a problem like before with him taking things back. Plus if he already said he likes it he will shot more with it then with something that doesn't feel right in his hands. Also it is under your price range and you can still get a few extras for him to go along with it. So in the end he will be happy, since he already stated that is what he wants, and you will also knowing that he isn't going to return it and not get something else.

Good luck and do report back the out come.

James

I agree with James. Not long ago my dad (a lifelong amateur photographer) wanted a Canon G-9. Problem was, they've stopped making it, and he wasn't happy with the G-10 for whatever reason. I looked around for other cameras with the same features or better, but in the end he went ahead and purchased the G-9 used on ebay and has been very happy with it. If your dad has expressed any kind of interest in a particular model, pay attention to that. There may be a very good reason he's settled on a point and shoot. There was for my Dad, he's owned many slr's in the past, but as he gets older, he doesn't want to lug that much hardware around anymore, something I never gave a second thought to!

Also keep in mind that a dslr, though more adaptable than a point and shoot, costs money for the adaptability and/or ranges that the p&s have.
    A dslr with a walk about and/or a 50mm can be had for your price but then there's more lenses, tripods, bags, edititing programs, etc, etc, etc.
    Doesn't sound like he would want to spend money on those things.
    Also be sure to check our camera dealer feedback forum before buying on line.
    Keep Shooting!

Ended up getting him the Canon SX10 IS. Thanks a lot for the feedback

Thank you for letting us know. Now tell him to join our forums and show us his work.
    Keep Shooting!

That's great to hear, I am sure he is happy... :thumbsup:

Like Frog mentioned, let him know about this place and have him sign up...

James

Thread Information