Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Budget of 1200, Suggestions for lens Canon XTI.

Ok, let's see how many will bite this.

I have read this form, spoke to some photographers about learning about lenses and now I want to find out what you guys think of what I should purchase.

My budget is roughly $1200. I plan to purchase the Canon XTI for around 700-800 kit which leaves me 400/500 dollars left. What lens should I purchase?

I plan to purchase the following outside the 1200 budget.

Buying these overtime
    Canon 50mm f/1.8?
    Some type of case.
    Memory (any recommendations?)
    Flash (speedlite perhaps)

Do I really need anything else? I want to make the first big bang purchase for the camera and lenses. I'm just stuck on which I should purchase. I know that some will question me about what I will intend to take shots off but I want to be as verstatile as possible. I won't be taking macro shots but I guess if I have the capabilty it would be nice but as long as it doesn't tap into the budget.

Hopefully room for 2 more lense within 500-600 budget left...roughly.

Thanks in advance!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Budget of 1200, Suggestions for lens Canon XTI.

Not sure what to recomend for a lens in that price range since you don't give us much to go on... I have heard good things about the Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ($410), but never used one myself.

As far as memory goes, go to www.newegg.com. Lots of sizes and speeds of CF cards to choose from, and very reasonable prices.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'm looking really for an all around lens kit given the budget over give or take. I won't really be taking much macro shots but would like to have some capability with it for here and there shots and of course, the standard "everyday" lense and a telephoto lense for buildings, scenery shots.

I'm can't be really specific because I want to have an All around package so to speak.

Funny you should mention that your budget is $1200 I am looking at the same body and the Tamron 18-250mm lens from BH. the total for the two (body is the card combo black one) is about $1202. I'm just looking for some more advice about the Tamron lens. The reviews I have seen have been pretty positive, but I don't know about Tamron in general. Might be a combo to consider, though since the lens sounds like a real workhorse range.

Justin

Thread Information