Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Best primary lens for 20D

What would you suggest is best all around lens for my 20D???

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Best primary lens for 20D

A little more info would help. What type of photography are you into? Sports, nature, wildlife, weddings, portraits, indoor, outdoor, studio??? The more info you can give us, the better.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

My general walk around lens is a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I use a 30D which is pretty much the same as a 20D. Any Canon DSLR below the 5D has a 1.6 crop. All of a sudden, focal lengths that start in the teens have become very popular and are not just ultra wide angle lenses.

Does this help?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    Any Canon DSLR below the 5D has a 1.6 crop.
    Really to make a decision on a lens to use as a "walk around" lens you would definately need to give us more information as to what genre of photography you intend or enjoy doing. I personally have my Sigma 50-500 Bigma on my camera(s) most of all lenses as I shoot trains mainly.

As per the statement I quoted... there are four crop factors that you need to be aware of. The first being Nikons 1.5x crop. Canon uses three, full frame (5D), 1.3x crop (1-Series), and 1.6x crop (10, 20, 30, 60 series as well as Rebel series). The crop factor does NOT magnify a lens. It actually crops the outer edges from the image which gives the *effect* of a longer lens. But the lens does not change in focal length. A 50mm lens is STILL a 50mm lens.
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Thread Information