Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Beginner/Newbie trying not to be...well... trying!

I have a lot of questions but honestly, I don't know how to word the questions that I have because I truly know nothing.

My daughter (16) just purchased (today) a Canon Rebel XTi. It comes with the standard lens and the basics to keep it going (you know batteries etc)

I purchased (it's for her stocking... really. We'll throw it in after Christmas Eve and tell her to open it FAST on Christmas morning) a 1 GB 120x speed memory card for her today as well.

This book,

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)
    Bryan Peterson

Was recommended as a place for her to begin learning aperture and all those other incomprhensible and unpronouncable words.

Also, we've been recommended to get this particular lens

50mm 1.8 lens

because Braelyn primarily wants to take portrait type pictures. (She's going to be an aunt come October and she's wanting to take some incredible portraits for the new parents) She's been taking some very cool pictures with a basic point and shoot Kodak Easyshare 5mpx so I'm hoping this is a good move for her.

So, with all of that in mind, what threads would you all recommend that we peruse? I'm so afraid of asking questions that are already answered in here but I honestly don't now where to start looking so a search feature for me is pretty worthless.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Beginner/Newbie trying not to be...well... trying!

What lens did she get with the camera?
    The 50mm f1.8 is one of the best lenses for the money and good for portraits.

Tell her to read the manual, then read it again and go through every step outlined there.

What size memory card does she have. She will probably want several 1 or 2 gb cards.

Then I would suggest that she sign into this site. Most folks here from beginner to professional are very willing to share their knowledge.

We'd love to see some of her pics and offering them up in the critique forum is a great learning tool.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Well, these are a few of the things she's played with. I'll probably have her come in here once she gets the camera in hand and has some pictures to work with.

er.... oops! I think I misunderstood the suggestion. You meant another forum and with the new camera. Duh.

Sorry about that. Proud mamas can become quite obnoxious can't they?

First off I just want to say how great it is to see you getting so involved in her interests and encouraging it. She is a very lucky girl

Understanding Exposure is a great little book. I have an older addition and it has been a great resource. Two other books I would recommend are:

"Photography & the art of seeing" by Freeman Patterson
    "Basic Techniques of Photography, An Ansel Adams Guide" by John P. Schaefer

I agree with Frog's advice to have her register and participate here. There are many excellent and helpful photographers here and the Photo Critique forum is an invaluable learning tool. I look forward to seeing some shots with the new camera

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

The book you mentioned by Bryan Peterson is about the best book to start with barr none. I'd also recommend she looks at the work of some master photographers and loads of old masters paintings etc... When she sees things she likes try to figure what works in the image and why.

I'd also be wary of critique forums as they often say don't do what you want do what I say which can be fatal to developing your own eye. Not saying they aren't okay just be aware some people think there is only one way to do things and are to acerbic and arrogant to help people develope and try to mold them in their own image instead.

D
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thread Information