Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

photographyreview needs DSLR class for lenses

I think photographyreview should make a special category for DSLR lenses, like Nikon DX's, Canon EF-S and Olympus E lenses. These lenses are never going to be used on a 35mm film or full-frame digital SLRs.

Tough One

Thanks for the feedback. There's a lot that goes into the decision to add a new review category. In this case, I'm not sure it's warranted. Even though there is a special class of lenses that are dedicated to digital SLRs, regular 35mm lenses work, too. That means that the dedicated lenses are going to be compared to the 35mm lenses. It isn't like a photographer can only choose between digital lenses. Sometimes, the 35mm lens might be a better choice. I think they should be kept together.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm interested in what you think. To put things in perspective, we never separated manual and autofocus lenses, either. It would have been a nice thing to do, and I wanted to do it. But I never did, and I don't think it's really been a problem.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: photographyreview needs DSLR class for lenses

I think it's too small of a category, but I understand the reasoning. I think this because some lenses that are "optimized" for use on digital are supposed to be fine for 35mm film too, but are marketed with more of an emphasis on digital. Tamron DI lenses and the Sigma 12-24 for instance. If we had a separate category for DSLR lenses, then where would these fall into? Also, some DSLR's have a smaller crop like some of the Canons with a 1.3 - I think you're limited to full frame lenses for those cameras (right?).

Yes, because the easier it is for someone looking for information to find it.

No, well, why not, you thought about doing it for the manual and auto focus lenses and didn't but know think it might have been a good idea.

Really is it that much of a hassle to set it up ???

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS

Really is it that much of a hassle to set it up ???
    Well, yeah. My first task every day is to decide what tasks I'm not going to do. It would be hard for me to prioritize this one highly when the system that's already in place is working pretty well.

And I'm also concerned that some people might misunderstand or feel compelled to buy those lense, if I set them apart. This is the sort of instance I would prefer to do the conservative thing.

But I'm still listening.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Well, yeah. My first task every day is to decide what tasks I'm not going to do. It would be hard for me to prioritize this one highly when the system that's already in place is working pretty well.

And I'm also concerned that some people might misunderstand or feel compelled to buy those lense, if I set them apart. This is the sort of instance I would prefer to do the conservative thing.

But I'm still listening.
    I love this reply! I work with a guy who's always at the office. He can't prioritize, or just say NO.....

I tend to lean towards no seperate catagorization. I know it's probably not true as I'd like to believe, but hopefully most people who are buying interchangable lens cameras, irregardless of format or capture, should have done enough research to know what they bought and what lenses it can use.

Plus, it's format, not digital, that we're talking about here. According to Nikon, because of their sensor design, they don't need special digital lenses. Ergo, the lenses mentioned are designed for APS instead of 35mm format. Canon claims all their new lenses since '99 (i think it was) have rear ARCs to be digital ready. They have a couple of lenses designed specifically for the APS format. Oly lenses are designed specifically for their format, not necessarily because it's digital. Though I'm sure some considerations were made. Third parties have to cal their stuff digital to satisfy the paranoid consumer.

I haven't had a single issue with my old lenses. The examples I've seen where I potentially could run into problems usually aren't typcial conditions. Moroover, lenses that work with different formats (usually within brands) aren't a new thing.

MIke

What I think & hope...............

I think that as soon as its $$ feesable, the camera companies will be making full size sensors like Canon did w/ one or 2 of their pro D cameras. Nikon should follow suit.

Wish they would. Right now I have the D 70 and I love super wide angle lenses. My 16 turns out to be about a 22mm w/ very bad distortion!

I think that the "D" lenses will go the way of the Nikon F3 af lenses. My opinon.

Everyone go to church this Christmas. Have a happy holiday!

Fat Boy

Thread Information