Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

beginner/intermediate camera

I do a lot of shooting with film cameras but haven't gotten into digital much. i'm looking for something that isn't extremely expensive but i'm hoping for a good macro setting and something that i can take out into the weather. i'm hoping for a lot of nature shots including moving animals so it should be fairly fast shooting. suggestions?

Re: beginner/intermediate camera

What film cameras do you currently have and use ? Knowing that would help to give you some suggestions.
    Not extremely expensive is a bit vague, so an approximate dollar budget would also be helpful.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Volks is right...a little more info would be needed to give a really recommendation. However, I would say that if you're looking for something that you can take out into the weather that isn't SUPER expensive, the Canon 7D is "weather sealed" fairly well and costs around $1500 now I believe. The 60D is also a good camera in the $1000 dollar range. As far as a macro setting, that will depend on what lens you purchase with it.
    Steve Furst

View my work:
    Furst Edition Photography

For a while I have been using a Nikon coolpix aw 100 and it is pretty cool but as I got more creative I bought a Canon 600d (rebel t3i) which is great for all round beginner photography

I use my Canon Rebel T4i to do all of that. But it all depends on the lens that you are planning on buying with the camera.

A Finn out of Water

Alisha is apt to mention the Canon Rebel: it's very cheap and a great introduction to the DSLR world. And it takes good pictures!

I also agree with Steve - the Canon 60D is another first choice for me. I might also recommend the Pentax K-5 and K-30 which are reasonably priced, quick to focus and shoot, and weather-sealed.
    "If music be the food of love, play on." -Shakespeare
    "My music is best understood by children and animals." -Igor Stravinsky
    Good low-light DSLR cameras.

I am looking to buy a SLR to shoot photos of auto racing. I am considering getting a canon rebel t4i. However, I am not sure which package to get. I will be ordering from Amazon.

The first choice comes with a 18-135 mm EF-S IS STM lens. The second is a 18-55 mm EF-S IS 2 lens.

Could someone please advise as to whether or not I would be making a good purchase.

Thanks for any assistane.

Scott, you'll need more reach than the 18-55 will give. Unless you're right at trackside, you may need more than the 135 can give, too. I shoot with a 70-300 at races, but I find that my actual zoom setting is usually less than 200mm.

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    Scott, you'll need more reach than the 18-55 will give. Unless you're right at trackside, you may need more than the 135 can give, too. I shoot with a 70-300 at races, but I find that my actual zoom setting is usually less than 200mm.
    Thanks for the input. I will get the package with the 135 lens. The race I am going to shoot photos at will be the Grand Am race at road Atlanta in April. What other lens would be ideal for auto racing, that won't break the bank?

Thanks again for the input.

Thread Information