Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Astrophotography?

Anyone do any astrophotography? I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT . . any tips on how to get into planetary or deep sky photography for a relatively afforable price? I really have no idea where to begin. Can you buy a telescope with something to attach the camera to it? Can anyone share what equipment you use? Share photos? Thanks.
    CMBessette

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Kit Lens
    Canon Speedlite 430EX
    Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Astrophotography?

This looks like a thread for Speed! I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. I have seen some nice moon shots taken with a 300mm lens. It's not enuf to fill the frame, but once cropped it looks pretty good. Sounds like you're looking for a little bit more than just the moon though, but it's a start. Here is a thread with a shot of the moon that I took with my 500mm lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nice shots.

I made an attempt to emulate your shots using my 150 zoom + my El-Cheapo Tokina 3x converter and here is what I got. This is simply a resize of the whole image.. I didn't crop it

**EDIT** whoops this posted in the wrong thread lol.

Anyway I am also interested in some kind of camera mount on a telescope for taking Astral pictures. I have seen many telescopes that have camera mounts on them but they are always out of my price range. I am wondering if a little MacGyvering might be necessary.

/heads off to get the duct tape.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thanks for the pictures. ;) They're similar to what I'm capable of getting with my 300mm Sigma lens. But . . there's no way I'm going to get deepsky objects with this lens. Can you get a telescope with electronic positioning that you can still attach a camera to, or something? How many different ways are there to "do" astrophotography? I guess the least I'd like to be able to do is get other planets . . .
    CMBessette

Canon Speedlite 430EX

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

In order to get your camera connected to a telescope, you will need a T-mount, and an eye piece adapter. Those two pieces aren't very expensive so you can get into astrophotography pretty cheap, if you already have a telescope. This thread should give you an idea of what you will need.

Speed is our local astronomy buff here, and he can give you more info on telescopes if he ever stops playing with his new DLSR.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Could those "in the know" recommend a book or two on astrophotography? I have a good book on astronomy . . but I think I need something more specific to help put things together for me (both with the equipment and the technique). :aureola:

I can get a decent shot of the moon with my 300mm Sigma lens, and tried getting Jupiter last night . . but without a tripod Jupiter was merely a test in frustration, and even if I had one, the planet wouldn't be large enough with the lens I have to look like anything other than a bright star. :mad2:
    CMBessette

Canon Speedlite 430EX

Yes, I am with him and I must say that he is right that he said about the digital slrs and astrophotography. You can get financial advisor palo alto and guide complete about the management. I think this kind of conspiracies is not good for the government and others.

You must follow this https://techy-brand.com/ to get more techniques for marketing.

Here is the directive for the publicans. Such policy centered issues are a piece of life. The thing is to think shrewdly and settle on the correct choices. Here you can check professional resume help and get skill about the education task. The Government should encourage public individuals. This blog consistently shares useful substance to peruse.

Thread Information