Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Lens Advice

Question Lens Advice

I'm currently in the final process of purchasing a new Nikon D70. I've been a Nikon user for many years, and I love my Nikon FM2.

But ... I'm trying to decide what lens(es) to get with the Nikon D70. Ideally, I'd like to buy an 18mm-300mm f1.8 lens for around $50, but unfortunately I live in the real world, and have to buy what is commercially available.

Does anybody have any advice? Perhaps the 18-70 that comes with the camera kit is a good choice. I've also been looking at the Tokina 24-200 and the Tamron 24-135.

I really just want a reasonable, general purpose lens that I can use for a wide range of conditions.

Lightbulb Nikon, Tokina, Tamron and Sigma

I've looked at a lot of 'general purpose' zooms, and here's my basic analysis:

Nikon 24-120 - Sounds good, but some the reviews are not very positive. It's pretty expensive, but not too bad.

Tokina 24-200 - Great range, but lots of talk of lack of sharpness.

Tamron 24-135 - Generally good reviews, and Tamron makes good lenses. The price is good too.

Sigma 24-135 - Good reviews, and f2.8 at 24mm. Unfortunately, no zoom lock, but other than that it looks really nice.

So, it looks as if the Sigma 24-135 is the winner. Also, at $300, it's a great price. In fact, the low price actually makes me suspicious, and is the only thing slowing me down.

There is one wrinkle ... Sigma just announced a new lens, 18-125 (f3.5). Now that sounds REALLY great. What a superb range for a D-SLR. But, I called Sigma customer service this morning, and they couldn't provide a ballpark on the price, and said that it was unlikely to be available until the end of May or beginning of June. So that probably means July or August.

So I buy the 24-135 now, or wait until (possibly) August, and get the 18-125 (after others have used it and posted reviews).

Stop reading and go take some pictures!
    I bought the 18-70 that's offered and feel it is an axcellent lens for the money. However it's good for a fairly wide (27-105) range that makes it a great all purpose lens for people shots, groups, etc.

But if you like real close-up work or for that matter, landscapes, this lens won't cover every area you need. The DX range from Nikon is lackling in a real tele lens in the 80-200 range or even the 70-300 ED. No one argues the 2.8 80-200 is a gorgeous lens, but it's pricey. People seem divided on the 70-300 ED version from Nikon (sells for about 250-300) but for that money you can't go wrong.

I opted for the 10.5 Fisheye (about a 16 mm on the D70) for my wide stuff, and plan to wait for a DX optomized lens at the the other end when they come out with one.

Unhappy Sheesh

I just learnt (from the nice people at B&H Photo) that the Sigma 24-135 might not work with the D70, because Sigma have not updated the CPU in some of their lenses.

Thread Information