Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Dyslexics of the world Untie! Nicci's Avatar
    Land of Vikings and Salty Black Licorice and ABBA!

Another "Hi! Look at me! I am new" thread:)

Hi! *waves*
    I am your typical point and shooter, although I have had some photography courses (back in the days of film and chemicals :crazy: ). While I love my little point and shoot and have taken some amazing pictures with it, I am looking to get a DSLR. I love taking concert photos of my friends bands along with candid concert shots of crowds(which both are just about impossible with a point and shoot, even with photoshop) but I also like architecture and random faces. Never been much for still portraits because I like to catch people "in the act".

I am a student so money is of course a problem but I am look at the Nikon D3000. They have a pretty good deal here which includes 2 lenses 55-200/4-5,6 VR and AF-S DX 18-55/3,5-5,6G VR for 7300:-kr (around $1000).
    I am wanting something simple, upgradeable, semi-compact(I bike everywhere) and that is a good starter DSLR.

I am open to all suggestions as I am not set on the brand although Nikon and Canon as the easiest to get here.
    Thanks in advance
    Nicci

(doing some more reading and it seems that the Nikon D3000 is not good for moving objects do to the shutter time. Nikon D40 is better--which I can't find in Sweden?)
    Last edited by Nicci; 12-14-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Re: Another "Hi! Look at me! I am new" thread:)

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Nikki. I think the Nikon D3000 will work jjust fine for you. I wouldn't worry about the speed of the camera. It's not really going to be an issue for action photos. Proper technique is much more important for pictures of moving objects than the frame rate of the camera. And the actual shutter speed on the D3000 is just fine.

One of the nice things about the D3000 is that it's really made for beginners. So you won't be paying for features you're not likely to use. You'll be getting the basic things you need, including DSLR image quality - and nothing else. If you do want more, I would have you look at the Nikon D5000. I was really impressed with it and it does offer a lot more features and better image quality. Here's my review for the Nikon D5000:

Nikon D5000 Pro Review >>

If small size is a high priority, then you should also take a look at the Olympus Four Thirds digital SLRs. I have been using them for mountain bike and ski photos for a couple of years now because they are so compact and light. The image quality isn't quite up to Nikon or Canon standards but that doesn't mean it's no good - I shot a whole ski story for a magazine with the Olympus E-30. The Olympus I would recommend is the E-620. It's got the best features in the smallest package of any camera out there. I really love it. Here's an introductory article I wrote about the E-620:

Olympus E-620 First Impressions >>

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. We're here to help
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

For action photos and low light having a fast lens makes a huge difference. I'd ditch the 18-55mm kit lens in favor of Tamrons 17-50 f/2.8. It would be a bit more in cost but easily worth it in both optical quality and speed. the 1mm wide gain means more than the 5mm telephoto loss as well. And then of course get a fast standard angle prime, normally I'd recomend the 50mm f/1.8 but the two Nikons you mention don't have internal focus motor and wouldn't focus those - so I'd recomend their 35mm f/1.8 AF-S. If you are sticking with Nikon I would definitely make it the D5000.

Anyway, whichever brand you end up getting, I'd still ditch the kit in favor of the Tamron.

Thanks you two. I will look more tomorrow at the suggestions.

Anyone else have suggestions in the Cannon area I would appreciate it.

Canon options

Quote Originally Posted by Nicci
    Anyone else have suggestions in the Cannon area I would appreciate it.
    No problem, Nicci. If you want to look at Canon, I think the XSi / 450D is your best bet. But if you're buying your first digital SLR, I think the Nikon D5000 is a better camera. The overall image quality is better. Not that the Canon is bad. It's just that the D5000 is better. Canon also has a their own pure entry-level D3000 equivalent. It's the Rebel XS / 1000D. It has a 10-megapixel sensor and simplified featured and controls compared to the 450D.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon options

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    No problem, Nicci. If you want to look at Canon, I think the XSi / 450D is your best bet. But if you're buying your first digital SLR, I think the Nikon D5000 is a better camera. The overall image quality is better. Not that the Canon is bad. It's just that the D5000 is better. Canon also has a their own pure entry-level D3000 equivalent. It's the Rebel XS / 1000D. It has a 10-megapixel sensor and simplified featured and controls compared to the 450D.
    Thanks again. I was actually looking at the Canon 450 and the Canon 500(a friend has the 500) today. I like the way they both feel in my hands. My friend has offered to let me play with his Canon 500 for a while to see how I like it.

7300 Krone (700 Euros) is a reasonable deal for the D3000 with two lenses. In France the same kit is going for 599 Euros at the moment (in my local hypermarket so there is nothing shady about it).

I've never heard that the D3000 was slow firing/focussing. It has the same shutter as the D40 and the focussing system from the D200, which was a semi-pro model. I still use my D200.

However if you have friends who have Canons then this is an excellent reason to choose Canon. A good photographer never lends his gear but advice is free.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I think I have decided on the Nikon D3000. The price is reasonable, lenses massively available here and they are mostly compatible with old Nikon lenses (from what I hear). Looks like I will be getting myself a late xmas present unless I can talk the boyfriend into getting it for me.

Time to look at digital photography classes.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to bugging you all with questions later on.

/Nicci

Thread Information