Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New D70, couple ????

I just recently bought a D 70. I have a couple other Nikon SLR 35mm cameras and a few non AF lenses. I plan on selling all the 35mm stuff, but I do have one lens that might be useful with the D70.
    I have an AF Nikkor 28mm F2.8. The D70 was bought with the 18-70 Nikon lens with an F stop of F3.5-4.5. Will the 28mm lens have any low light advantage over the Nikon zoom lens?

Second question. Is there any way to use the rear screen to aim the camera instead of the viewfinder. I found this feature very useful on my other two digital cameras. Is this screen only for playback?

Thanks
    Roy

Re: New D70, couple ????

The f/2.8 has a slight advantage over f/3.5, but not huge (what is that, 2/3 stop?). The more important advantage is the quality of prime lenses over zooms.

If you need a fast lens, I'd recommend the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, which can be had for about $90 brand new.

No, the D70 has no ability to use the LCD as a viewfinder, just like all DSLRs. Maybe one day a manufacturer will implement it in one form or another, but it'll probably be a while.

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Ranter and raver.

DownByFive covered the lens question pretty well. As for composure through view screen, well, that's impossible. All SLRs and DSLRs have a mirror between the lens and the shutter. Some (Olympus and Fuji, if I remember correctly) have experimented with semitransparent mirrors and mirrors that lock up and give the photographer a very short, low quality view but they have serious problems.

Yeah, it beats me why all these people that have never used an SLR think that live preview is a must have, I am thinking that they are the people that get all their shots blurry and blame the camera.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i find that with small camera's its annoying to have to look through the viewfinder just because it's such a small camera. Looking through the viewfinder with a SLR is much easier because you don't have to "scrunch up" as much to hold it the right way.

I have a Pentax *ist DS and of course you have no choice, I also have a Sony V1 and mostly have the screen turned off because the viewfinder works as it should, you must of course remember that with the P&S cameras that the viewfinder is offset in some way, for distant objects that is fine but for close ups you can cut bits off if you are not careful.

Thread Information