Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Alternative

Alternative

Hello,

This is my first time posting. Hi.

I'm looking for an alternative to a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have a $800 spending limit on this because i'm only 16, but I love photography and want to buy a DSLR since i've been using a 35mm SLR for the past few months and it's been pretty expensive.

I Probably could get the XT, but I then wouldn't have any money for a extra Compact Flash card, or a better lens for it since I've heard the stock one on the XT isn't all that great, but good for starters.

Anybody want to help me with alternatives? Also, this is urgent because i'm going to the camera store tonight and wont be able to go back for a month or so.

Re: Alternative

I think the best deal on digital SLRs right now is the Olympus E-500 kit. I think it's selling for under $800 at big box and electronics stores. I also think that the Four Thirds system is very compelling and getting even better. On the other hand, if you've got your heart set on a Canon, then you'd better buy a Canon. Otherwise you're likely to regret buying something else. That being the case, you could see if anyone still has the orginal Canon Digital Rebel in stock. That should be much less expensive than the Rebel XT, and it's still a very capable camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think the best deal on digital SLRs right now is the Olympus E-500 kit. I think it's selling for under $800 at big box and electronics stores. I also think that the Four Thirds system is very compelling and getting even better. On the other hand, if you've got your heart set on a Canon, then you'd better buy a Canon. Otherwise you're likely to regret buying something else. That being the case, you could see if anyone still has the orginal Canon Digital Rebel in stock. That should be much less expensive than the Rebel XT, and it's still a very capable camera.
    I don't know if I'll be able to find an old XT, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it. Anybody else?

B&H still sells the original Rebel: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Its only $550, though you'll need to get a lens if you don't already have something that will work, and a memory card. I think its a very good camera to start out with in the DSLR world. I've had mine for 2 years and I still use it for landscapes or portraits sometimes. You might even find a better deal on Ebay.
    30D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 300 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 10-22, 85 1.8, 580EX
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

Thanks. But the problem is I don't have a credit card, my parents wont let me use theirs if I give them the money. So I really can't resort to online. Just ritzcamera.com which is my local store, but they're very good with having all cameras in stock and on display.

How about the Nikon D50?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You say you have been using a 35mm SLR for a while. Is it yours and if so, what is it? You may be able to use the lens you have for that SLR on a new DSLR. That way you could save a little money by just buying a DLSR body.

My main camera is the original DRebel. I got mine with the kit lens, and I think it's a pretty good lens for the $. Of course it's not top of the line, but for starters, it's pretty good, and gives you something to learn with and figure out where you want to go for there. If you don't want to go down that path, keep saving to get what you want, instead of what you can afford.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have a Minolta Maxxum 300si 35mm. http://kensummer2006.my-expressions.com <---gallery of 35mm

I'm looking at buying the D50 now with the "Sigma Two Lens Zoom Kit with 28-80 & 70-300 AF"since I know a guy locally who's selling it for $350 in mint condition. And the lens kit is $229.95.

Or just the "Nikon 70-300mm F4-5.6 'G'"

Though, maybe the "Quantaray 500mm f/8.0 Mirror w/Macro"

Any opinions?

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

GET THE D50! At that price it cant be beat. It has excellent high ISO, good build and ergonomics, and one of the largest systems in the world. Sell your minolta if you want and get a bit of extra money.
    Try to pick up the Nikon 18-55mm DX or 18-70mm DX instead of those crappy lens kits. The 18-55mm is a cheap lens but good and gives you a wide angle-normal zoom. a 28-80 (especially the sigma) is a terrible choice- a bad lens, and starts out at a 42mm film equivalent. D50 for $350, does that include a memory card? if not you can geta 1gb card for pretty cheap, still be around $400, and have money to spend on lenses.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I know nothing about Nikon, but that does sound like a good price for the D50.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, and should be one of the biggest things to consider when starting to put together a system like this, is the feel of the camera and the controls. You could have the latest and greatest camera on the market, but if you can't find the controls easily, it's too big or too small, or for whatever reason it just isn't comfortable and easy for you to use, you're not going to like it. Get your hands on the cameras that you're considering, and see which one feels the best and most comfortable. That's the camera for you.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Definitely Michael. that's one of the things I like about the D50- its not too small, though still smaller and lighter than say my D200, good controls IMO for a beginner through intermediate DSLR photographer, and a generally good feel. To me it even feels a bit better than the more expensive D70- more solid and such. The grip is contoured better too.
    Harrison

I bought a brand new Nikon D50 for $600 with a Quantaray 28mm-80mm lens. It's pretty good and i'm still getting to know the camera. I've taken some great shots with it, but i'm having a hard time getting them to upload right on my computer.

Hrm... did you install the software and what kind of computer is it?

If you want it to read like an external drive (ex. hard drive, thumb drive) switch USB mode to M (mass storage) in the set-up menu (I think its the wrench icon)

You'll love it! wait till you get a wider angle lens, its a whole new world.

I would be glad to help you out in any way I can with regards to getting the images onto your computer.
    Harrison

Thread Information