Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

manual mode on d5000

Ive had a D5000 since April.Took some lovely pics in India. Recently was in Adelaide and had a hard time taking wildlife pics in dim light. Opened aperture to max on a 200mm zoom, shutter speed was around 1/125. Could it have been shake or dim light that caused the blurring. I made sure I kept the camera firm for minimal shake. Any suggestions, btw I was doing it on manual mode. Am wondering if the manual mode is a problem or I did something wrong.I learnt on B&W manual camera and my basics are not bad.Please advise.Ta

Re: manual mode on d5000

Quote Originally Posted by shb_jcb
    Ive had a D5000 since April.Took some lovely pics in India. Recently was in Adelaide and had a hard time taking wildlife pics in dim light. Opened aperture to max on a 200mm zoom, shutter speed was around 1/125. Could it have been shake or dim light that caused the blurring. I made sure I kept the camera firm for minimal shake. Any suggestions, btw I was doing it on manual mode. Am wondering if the manual mode is a problem or I did something wrong.I learnt on B&W manual camera and my basics are not bad.Please advise.Ta
    If you can post a picture and some of the settings that were used we may be able to help. As a rule of thumb your shutter speed needs to be a least as fast as the mm setting of the lens you shoot with. If you are at 200mm your shutter speed needs to be around 1/200th or faster to help eliminate camera shake. 150mm would be 1/150 shutter speed or faster. Post a picture and the settings and will might be able to help you more. You may need to increase the ISO setting to get enough light, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information