Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: 300D vs D70

300D vs D70

My wife recently dropped and broke our P&S digital, so this just gives me an opportunity to buy a new toy. I'm trying to get into the digital SLR world on the beginner level. I currently have a Nikon N60 (Film SLR) with Quantaray lenses (28-80 D 1:3.5-5.6 and 100-300 D 1:4.5-6.7). My question is whether I should buy the D70 body only and use the current lenses or go with the Canon 300D with the lense kit and then buy a fairly good 300mm lense. The price works out to be about the same (~$1000). Also, if you think the Canon is the way to go, what 300 mm lense should I get for about $200-$250?

Oh yeah, here's what I'll be using it for... Vacation photos, family photos, I'm going to take a class and try to get into more landscape shots. Thanks!

Tech.Support
    Hi james,

Please refer this thread. click here : EOS 300D vs. D70

buy the d70.that should not even be a question.the 300 has nothing compared to the d70. d70 is a pro camera,they can say what they want.i like mine. i switched from pentax.i have a bunch of bodies,and glass,i bought the d70 after comparing the two.i ordered the ist d twice and it was backordered both times.boy am i glad.god works in mysterious ways.
    freelance1031@aol.com

The 300D isn't the D70's rival, the Canon 10D is the more like product (seeing as how alot of people say the D70 is even almost equal to the D100). The 300D is what, a year and a half old? the D70 is like 2 months old.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiltonjame
    I currently have a Nikon N60 (Film SLR) with Quantaray lenses (28-80 D 1:3.5-5.6 and 100-300 D 1:4.5-6.7). My question is whether I should buy the D70 body only and use the current lenses or go with the Canon 300D with the lense kit and then buy a fairly good 300mm lense. The price works out to be about the same (~$1000). Also, if you think the Canon is the way to go, what 300 mm lense should I get for about $200-$250?

Oh yeah, here's what I'll be using it for... Vacation photos, family photos, I'm going to take a class and try to get into more landscape shots. Thanks!
    Either camera is an excellent buy. Both produce images that are indistinguishable from each other.

The D70 is a good deal if you intend to keep the lenses you have. FWIW, the Quantaray lens are OK but not great. If you want start fresh, I would go with Canon. They have a much better lineup of affordable lens and you can get IS without selling the house. The investment is in the lenses, not the camera body. The Canon is reasonably less expensive than the D70.

The 300D will keep you busy for many years and probably do a lot more than you'll ever really use. If you go with the D70, that isn't wrong either. Just remember, the lenses are much more important than the body.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Setting aside my gourmet Contax N/645 digital setup, I shoot Canon 1d Mark II and 10d and tried 300d, which I really liked for its portability and deceptively amateurish look. I have no brand loyalty to Canon whatsoever, and use it because it works for me. A couple days ago I shot about a hundred frames with Nikon D70 with 18-70 zoom and was REALLY impressed with both handling and results. It is a much better camera than Canon 300D for about the same money. I would not skimp on the lens because it is much better than your quantaray.
    Irakly

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonjames
    My wife recently dropped and broke our P&S digital, so this just gives me an opportunity to buy a new toy. I'm trying to get into the digital SLR world on the beginner level. I currently have a Nikon N60 (Film SLR) with Quantaray lenses (28-80 D 1:3.5-5.6 and 100-300 D 1:4.5-6.7). My question is whether I should buy the D70 body only and use the current lenses or go with the Canon 300D with the lense kit and then buy a fairly good 300mm lense. The price works out to be about the same (~$1000). Also, if you think the Canon is the way to go, what 300 mm lense should I get for about $200-$250?

I'd also go with the D70 and kit lens, which you may find to be better quality than your Quantaray lenses. My question would be why you are interested in a 300mm lens, given the kinds of photos you say you are looking to shoot.

Thread Information