Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Suggestion for a good DSLR camera

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a DSLR camera for myself. I am not a pro and have never owned a DSLR but i just like taking good shots. I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR camera - Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

I have been closing on Sony a230 but It doesn't seems to have Live view. I have been using point and shoot so far relying mostly on the LCD - I am not sure if I will be able to move to view finder for every shot so I am kinda confused on it. Does it has good results on higher ISO?

I understand lens makes alot of sense for a DSLR camera but I do not think I will be moving to expensive lenses for now. I have read dozens of reviews in last 2 weeks but have not reached any point yet.

Can you guys post your expert advice please. Some one suggested Pentax k-x is good but it seems to be out of my budget.

Thanks.

Re: Suggestion for a good DSLR camera

As a Sony owner, I am somewhat biased, but I think Sony has the best solution for the 'value' shopper who wants Image Stabilization and Live View - Sony body and (mostly) older Minolta lenses. Start with the A 330/380 (or the older A300/350, with the more traditional SLR shape, are still available) and the 18-xxmm kit lens. You have the fast focus Live View usable like a very fast P&S and, with the in-body stabilization, all lenses are stabilized. As the budget allows, you can then pick up great copies of Minolta 50mm f/1.7, a 35-70 f/4 and a 70-210 f/4 for $300 or less. I have seen nothing that can come close to the image quality and low light ability for this kind of money and there are other great values in Minolta used lenses. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I am going to comment on the live view feature. I don't own a camera with it. I will tell you that trying to hold a DSLR away from your face like you would do with a point and shoot is very difficult especially with a bigger lens on it. Being able to brace the camera against your face makes it much more stable. But it does have its place. Like mounted on a tripod dong portraits or holding the camera above your head shooting over a crowd. In those cases live view would be nice. The problem with the rest of your question is that it is too generic. I shoot Nikon so that is what I would recommend but like above I am biased. I would go to a shop and hold them and see how they feel and look at the different features each mfg. offers.
    Nikon D300s with Nikon grip
    Nikon D300 with Zeikos grip
    Nikon D40x
    Nikkor 80-200 2.8
    Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 Kit lens
    Nikkor 50 1.8
    Nikkor 35 1.8
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    SB-900
    SB-600

I use Live View a lot with it mounted on a tripod with a pan/tilt head and both the pan and up/down loose and a remote shutter. With the back handle I aim (say at the eyes), half press the remote to focus, frame with the handle and shoot. Works great for shots below waist level so I don't have to kneel or sit on the ground for hours. Used the same way on a tall tripod with the LCD flipped down for overhead shots (like over a fence), it's nearly indispensable.

Nikon was a bust, FOR ME, because their entry level bodies won't auto-focus older lenses.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Thinking about this, I do think 'live view' is mostly useful for tripod work as Old Clicker said and sometimes in awkward situation where you might need to hold it over your head or something. Then only a flip out screen would work.
    A dslr is going to be much heavier than a p&s especially when you start using the larger zooms or primes.. I think anything 150 and above would be too heavy to hold steady unless braced as you would be by using the viewfinder.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I've had a camera with live view for over 2 years (first with the Canon 40D and then with the 50D) and I've only used that feature a handful of times. Only when tripod mounted and only to check critical focusing and reduce vibration in place of locking up the mirror.

It is heavily dependent on one's style of shooting and subject matter. I shoot primarily highly dynamic subjects in non-studio settings and there is no faster/better way to do it than having the camera plastered against my face - even if the camera is on a tripod or monopod.

It is ironic then that every P&S digital camera that I've ever owned, I never used the optical viewfinder with those. Go figure
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Any more info on this? i.e start date, cost, timings

Thread Information