Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Will ya help? Casio EX-Z1050 blinking green light is only function. Crappy daughter!

This Casio EX-Z1050 was in excellent condition, until…

Today I was getting ready to take a picture with this Casio EX-Z1050, but it then slipped out of my hands (butter-free believe it or not) just after I turned the unit on, luckily (or maybe not so lucky) I caught it before any impact could occur. The catch was from a fall length of about 8 inches only (average sized human, but I was sitting down), so I can’t understand for the life of me why this camera is completely non-functional now.

The Symptoms:
    The green light on the back and towards the top of the camera blinks continuously; this seems to be the cameras beating heart on an otherwise brain-dead vessel.

The lens is now stuck in the extended position and will not retract.

None of the buttons work and neither does the LCD preview screen.

So basically nothing seems to work except for this little green light…wow…what an expensive light bulb. It’s so mystical; I could watch it for hours...

THINGS I’VE TRIED:
    1. I removed the card and the battery then pressed all the buttons (sounded stupid at the time and now I see why). I left it alone for 20 minutes. Then I inserted the card, then the battery and turned the camera on. This was supposed to be a "hard reset".

RESULTS:
    No change! Except for increasing frustration.

2. I tried tapping the unit on the palm of my hand (not too hard) to hopefully jar something back in place? I don’t know, I was just trying everything I could find in the forums. I would have read poetry and kissed it a little too, if I read that it might help. "O great-invisible-digital-leader, I am at your mercy"

RESULTS:
    No change! Except for added frustration and doubts in the helpfulness of some internet forums. Not this one, of course...umm...you all are wonderful, I'm sure

HELP ME, PLEASE:

If anyone has a solution for this problem, please let me know as soon as possible as this is my loving mother’s camera and she’s going to be completely heartbroken when I tell her that I’ve broken it and my non-working, broke-a** (just like the camera :thumbsup can’t afford to buy her another one.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance and remember; if you’re not gainfully employed, DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING!!

PS. Happy Mother's Day
    /hangs head in shame
    Last edited by JerryBlank; 05-01-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Will ya help? Casio EX-Z1050 blinking green light is only function. Crappy daughter!

It depends how you caught it, and if you jarred the lens when it happened.
    It doesn't take a large fall, if it lands the wrong way, to jam up that kind of lens.

Then you switch the camera on, it expects to find the lens is retracted, and it will try to move the lens out. If it finds the lens isn't moving at all, it may well just give up and flash the light as a warning ... as if you couldn't see that the lens was already out !

How cameras cope with this differs from camera to camera.
    My old Panasonic actually puts up a message telling me there is a lens problem.
    Yours seems to be terminally confused.

Inside that extending lens barrel mechanism are small gears and a motor, and it all relies on everything moving the right way at the right time. It doesn't take much to upset it when the lens is extended, when it's collapsed into the camera and switched off it's more robust.

Ideas:
    1) can you switch it on and off with the power switch ?
    If it won't switch off, then you can't help it to retract the lens.

2) does it make any noises as you switch it on ?
    If it does, and it's trying to move the lens, then gently pulling or pushing on the front part of the lens barrel (not the glass) as you switch it on may assist the motor.
    It could be the lens is not all the way out, and sticking because things aren't lined up right, then pulling gently may help.

It's like a puzzle, inside a box, where you have to shake, prod, and cajole it into putting all the pieces in the right order without opening the box.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Will ya help? Casio EX-Z1050 blinking green light is only function. Crappy daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    It depends how you caught it, and if you jarred the lens when it happened.
    It doesn't take a large fall, if it lands the wrong way, to jam up that kind of lens.
    I thought I caught it lightly and only manipulated the body, not the lens while catching it, but you're right; obviously something more happened :cryin:

Then you switch the camera on, it expects to find the lens is retracted, and it will try to move the lens out. If it finds the lens isn't moving at all, it may well just give up and flash the light as a warning ... as if you couldn't see that the lens was already out !
    Ha! Yep, even the blind could easily see that this lens is stuck in the "out" position.
    Hmm, do they make cameras that produce braille photographs yet?

Okay, okay, I'll try to stay focused here (no pun intended).

Ideas:
    1) can you switch it on and off with the power switch ?
    If it won't switch off, then you can't help it to retract the lens.
    I do not get any action from any of the buttons. Rigamortis seems to have set in already.
    Although, all of the buttons seem to be in perfect position and feel just fine as I press them.
    If I can't shut the camera off, in order to help the lens retract, then what can I do?
    I did try to see if I could manipulate the lens back into the body (ever so lightly) but there was no give what-so-ever, so I stopped.

2) does it make any noises as you switch it on ?
    Negative. It seems to be in so much pain that it's beyond the point of whimpering. No noise of any sort, no beeps, no nuttin'.

It's like a puzzle, inside a box, where you have to shake, prod, and cajole it into putting all the pieces in the right order without opening the box.
    Is this code for my camera is a woman? Well sir, as a woman, I resemble that.

I have tried to "shake, prod, and cajole" without success. I've listened for any signs of pieces being out of place or looseness, but I don't hear anything...at all.

SmartWombat, I really appreciate your efforts and I thank you wholeheartedly for taking the time to try and help me out. If you can think of anything more, please let me know.

I'll be standing by for more help from you or anyone who thinks he/she knows the answer and will respond to all tips and suggestions until this is resolved :thumbsup:
    Also, this is my first contribution to any forum so please have some patience with me. I hope I've quoted in the right format and everything else.

PS. Eight more days until Mother's Day
    /screams
    Last edited by JerryBlank; 05-01-2010 at 05:55 AM.

4 more days till Mother's Day and no success on fixing her camera yet. :17:

Any suggestions?

I'm sure you tired it but didn't mention it. Is the battery fully charged?

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    I'm sure you tired it but didn't mention it. Is the battery fully charged?

James
    Thank you, James.

Yes, the battery is fully charged

Tomorrow is Mother's Day

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wish I could help. Beg borrow rent?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Wish I could help. Beg borrow rent?
    Hi Frog,

Beg? I begged for help on how to fix her camera with no success.

Borrow? Nah, I'm never borrowing anyone's camera again, lol.

Rent? I don't see how that would work at all, but I thank you for your input

Mother's Day came and went. I told her about the camera and it broke my heart. I'm going to replace it when I can, but I'm not sure what to replace it with.

Any suggestions? Think compact and inexpensive and with decent photo quality

...Ima dreamer

Thread Information