Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    banished

what's a good camera for $250

What's a good camera choice for under $250? I am now looking at these two:
    Olympus Stylus 1200
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55K
    What's MegaPixel about, is it better to get higher ones for a good picture? Which one is a better choice???

Re: what's a good camera for $250

Well I'm no expert on digital cameras but I can tell you that the higher the mega pixels, the bigger and clearer you'll be able to make a picture. Those two you linked to are a good megapixelage(is that a word?).

Those appear to be point-and-shoot type cameras so you wont have complete control over your pictures. But for your price range I think those are probably great.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

More megapixels are not a good thing if you want to take photos in low light.
    Or if you want to take photographs quickly.

If the size of the sensor stays the same (usually they're small in a P&S) then the more pixels you cram onto it the smaller each one is. That means it gathers less light, there's more electronic noise to deal with compared to the image, and it gets harder to get a good image as it gets darker.

If you have a 12megapixel image, it's going to take twice the time to write to a memory card than a 6megapixel image. If taking photos quickly in a burst is needed, then smaller may be better.

This has to be considered along with the improving electronics and computer power available every couple of years, the hardware gets better to be able to cope with the higher megapixel count or the smaller pixels.

Lots of other things matter than megapixels.
    My year-old Panasonic LZ-5 is smaller, lighter, starts up faster, and saves images faster than my new Canon G9. It also uses AA Batteries, which is fantastic when out in the field without a charger. Just go buy a pack of AA alkalines and off I go. The Canon G9 has a custom LiIon rechargeable battery - so I need to take the charger with me on holiday, and I probably need a spare battery that's not going to be cheap.
    On the other hand, the G9 has manual shutter, aperture, and focus; it will save RAW files; it has an optical viewfinder as well as the screen (saves battery).
    But after taking a photo it takes 2 seconds before I can take another one, compared to the Panasonic that can take 6 in about 4 seconds.

That's using the same memory card in both cameras, so it's just down to how the camera works and how big the images are.

Both have 6x zoom, both have IS, but it's 6MP vs 12MP and it's not all going the Canon's way despite double the pixels.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

fujifilm s700 i had one paid 219$ for it brand new look into one;)
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Quote Originally Posted by photonature
    What's a good camera choice for under $250? I am now looking at these two:
    Olympus Stylus 1200
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55K
    What's MegaPixel about, is it better to get higher ones for a good picture? Which one is a better choice???
    I am a hater of everything Panasonic because it stops working after a year or two...though I did have a video camera from Panasonic that lasted almost 4 years.

Olympus P&S Cameras may not be a great choice either because they take the xD memory card standard, much more expensive and harder to find than SD or MS cards.

Check out:
    Canon SX100 Office Depot carries it and for a reasonable price when on sale.
    --The Canon takes AA batteries and has a great range of manual controls, excellent optics, takes the inexpensive SD card (2gb for $20 locally is not uncommon)
    --It's also fairly compact, especially for something with 10x optical zoom (350mm equivalent)

Also check out the Canon S3-IS or S5-IS, though not so compact

The Canon A720 IS is beautiful too

All those Canons have great optics and manual controls, they take AA batteries and SD cards, the image stabilizer reduces the need for flash in many situations, also reduces grain if no flash
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

banished

That Canon SX100 looks nice.

Fujifilm FinePix S8200

fujifilm s700

Hi, In my opinion, Panasonic LUMIX LX7 is a good option these days. It has a high-quality lens and shoots fast. It performs in low light and mostly has features like any good point and shoot camera.

hey guys i am about to buy my first DSLR and after a vast reasearch i've come down to 4 options . but its really hard to choose which one to go for. need help. the options are nikon D3200, D3300, D5100 and canon 600D . support ur answers please!!
    Last edited by zalan05; 08-28-2014 at 11:45 AM.

There are many camera's available for this range. But i personally favorite brand is Canon.

Focus Photography

Last edited by pipi99; 09-11-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: link
    Shoot Hunter

pipi99 : good review pipi

hallo, i'm dellarossa.. i'm interesting with Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera product on amazon, i've read many reviews, but im still not satisfied with it.
    anyone can give me more reviews ? i saw it here
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J3Y9U6/tag=dellcoine-20

thank you very much.. :*

hallo, i'm dellarossa.. i'm interesting with Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera product on amazon, i've read many reviews, but im still not satisfied with it.
    anyone can give me more reviews ? i saw it here
    Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (discontinued by manufacturer): Rosewill: Camera & Photo

thank you very much.. :*

may be pocked digital camera

i bought one digital camera from kingsbuying.com ,cost me about 150usd.
    it can be as a good camera for a new photographer

Thread Information