Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

what type of camera to get?

Hello, I want to buy a low or reasonably priced digital camera good for indoors and outdors (even without sun?) pictures, and which I will be able to get into my computer to send out, etc. I especially like the types of cameras I've seen which don't have to be put in close contact with one of my eyes (as I had in the past), but rather can keep it at arms distance or so to take the pictures.

So sorry if my question is kind of vague but I never had nor was interested in cameras these complicated. Also, does it have to be digital?

Thanks so much for any suggestions. Adela

P.S. I took the liberty of copying the below paragraph from a post here as I think these may be some things I'm looking for too? Although I hope to meet my budget which is way way below $100?...
    "my budget is under $200
    - not really meant to be used by someone with an intense interest in photography or professional background... it's more for a college student to use on a daily basis for a typical point-and-shoot purposes. something that takes fairly high-res pictures (and not blurry) in general, and something that takes good pictures even in low-light settings.
    - a nice, sleek design that can fit in a pocket."

Re: what type of camera to get?

What you want is what we call a Point and Shoot (P&S). There are lots of them on the market, they change about every 6 months or so. The leading manufacturers (in no particular order) are Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc. Some criteria of choice:

- Almost all of them have no viewfinder so you view on the back as you want
    - Yes all these cameras are digital nobody is buying film any more
    - Almost all have image stabilisation which is good in low light
    - Some are very small but this usually means a compromise in image quality
    - Some have a big zoom range but this usually means the camera is big and again there may be a compromise in image quality
    - All of them have more than enough megapixels (6Mpix is enough) so don't use that as a factor of choice.

Check out the reviews section to see if a particular model is in there.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information