Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What should I get for a replacement camera??

First let me say that I am a novice, although I would like to learn more and get better at photography.

We recently bought our first digital camera. Since we didn't want to spend alot, we just got a Canon Sure Shot A510, which we like.

Our film camera - a point and shoot Olympus Stylus which we have had for years has been our constant companion on our many travels overseas. It has been adequate, but I find myself wishing I could do more - wider angle shots, low light shots, night shots, etc.

The film camera has ceased functioning, and the camera shop told us it would cost more to repair than to replace.

Now the dilemna - do we replace with another high-level point and shoot film camera, or a higher end digital? Something about having only digital makes me nervous. What if I take a week's worth of photos on a trip and accidentally delete them?

I've been reading a little about the Canon Rebels, but they may be too high end for me. I want something I could use on auto mode, but also do some more advanced things as I learn. I also want something not terribly heavy and bulky, as we'll be carting it around everywhere on our travels.

So my question to you experts - should we get a replacement film camera or another digital, and then what make/models would you think would be suitable for our needs?

Re: What should I get for a replacement camera??

Can't anyone help me?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Can I ask what's wrong with the Canon A510? I don't know anything about that model so you'll have to expand on why you think you need a "higher end digital".

I posted a thread in the ViewFinder forum and many people have responded to it. Take a look if you haven't already. Maybe it'll answer your question. If not, let us know.

As for accidentally deleting files, as long as you regularly download files to your computer, you won't risk losing any more images than you would by accidentally opening the back of a film camera.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Since the Rebel is out of reach the only thing I can suggest is seeing what you may find used. Since Canon is coming out with the new D30 next month you could wait and see if you can find a used 10D or 20D at a price you can afford. I know it is digital but I think you are over worrying about loosing files, and what you save in film you can use for other things

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

We have decided to replace our old film camera with a second digital.

There is nothing "wrong" with the Canon A510 that we have, it is an excellent starter camera and easy to carry everywhere.

Why we are looking for a "higher end" digital is:

1) We'd like a better zoom - the A510 has only a 4x
    2) We'd like something that can take wide angle shots
    3) The A510 is only 3.2 megapixel
    4) We want something that is capable of taking night shots
    5) The flash is VERY slow

From the research we have done, we are looking for something in between the basic point and shoot and an SLR.

Our short list includes:

Sony Cybershot DSC - V3
    Konica Minolta Dimage A200
    Kodak Easyshare P880 Zoom
    Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ30
    Nikon Coolpix 8400

We want something that can be used on auto when we are feeling lazy or just want to get a quick shot, but something we can play with and grow into for more advanced shooting.

We will be using our camera mainly for casual family shots, and more importantly for travel to Europe - where it's been hard to capture the great architecture (fitting it in the frame) or the great night shots (Venice at night on the canal).

Any help/direction people are willing to provide would be appreciated.

Thread Information