Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question What should I choose: HP or CANON (both for printer and digital camera)

Hi everybody!

The following is my situation in which I need some advices so I can take a final decision:

I fixed myself a ~350 EUR(420USD)budget to buy a digital camera and a multifunctional printer(both for personal/home use and not for professional matters).

After reviewing some market prices, I came to the conclusion that I would allocate 200 EUR for the digital camera and 150 EUR for the printer.

Now, my doubts are when choosing the brand for my purchases (as I want both products to be the same brand).

The balance is between HP and Canon. I like and trust the performances in these two domains of the both brands.

The thing is that when I am buying something, I choose the brand that pioneered that category, for example: Nokia/Motorola(but Nokia is much better than Motto;P)for mobile phones, Samsung for LCDs, IBM for Computers, etc.. I think you get the idea which is simple- the main activity that got up a company should always be their forte point, no matter that other companies reprofiled on the same domain as that's an economic trick on how to make money nowadays.

Anyway, getting back to my dilema, I know HP as printers and Canon as digital cameras. But I want both of them to be from the same brand.

Please let me know your opinion on this matter, what choice would you think best, why and maybe some model recommendations.

Thank you!

Re: What should I choose: HP or CANON (both for printer and digital camera)

Quote Originally Posted by nosmoking
    The thing is that when I am buying something, I choose the brand that pioneered that category...

Anyway, getting back to my dilema, I know HP as printers and Canon as digital cameras. But I want both of them to be from the same brand.
    I'd start with the camera because that's going to capture the original, raw material. It will be the main determining factor in the quality of the final image. And since you like to choose the brand that pioneered the category - Canon precedes HP in the photography business by decades. They are one of the leaders when in photography technology, and have been so at least since the introduction of the A1 35mm SLR. Since photography is really what we're talking about. I'd stick with a company who's main business is photography.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'd consider epson as well... to me, they're better (most models) than other printers, and don't tend to waste as much ink... plus with the CIS systems out there for them, it makes it even easier and cheaper to print your photos

Canon for the camera definitely. Buy a camera from a camera manufacturer. That is basic. HP has a poor reputation for customer relations and fixing defective products according to feedback on the net. I would get photos printed at a lab. It is faster and cheaper in the long run and current quality is excellent.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by nosmoking
    Hi everybody!
    clip.....

Now, my doubts are when choosing the brand for my purchases (as I want both products to be the same brand).

The balance is between HP and Canon. I like and trust the performances in these two domains of the both brands.

clip....

Please let me know your opinion on this matter, what choice would you think best, why and maybe some model recommendations.

Thank you!
    Never buy HP inkjet printers. The cost of printing with HP is more than Canon. The two best photo printers are Epson or Canon. I like the Canon cameras better than the HP anyday of the week.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Canon definitely. I personally prefer Nikon over Canon for cameras, but Canon is hands down betther than HP in that category. As far as printers, HP inkjets used to be very very good, but they have gone steadily downhill and have been into the realm of suckitude for quite some time. Canon on the other hand makes some beautiful photo printers. I have a Pixma iP6600D and it is a fantastic printer. Before I bought my Pixma, I had an i950 and that was spectacular too, unfortunately it was damaged during a move so I had to replace it.

Thread Information