Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What DSLR to get...just a noob trying to get away from point and click..

I have about $400~500 max in funds...

I don't mind getting a used older model on eBay as long as it is better (PQ, construction overall).

I was thinking either used Canon EOS 30D or new Olympus E420 or 520...

What do you guys recommend?

Please help out this noob.

Thanks..

Re: What DSLR to get...just a noob trying to get away from point and click..

Quote Originally Posted by netddos
    I have about $400~500 max in funds...

I don't mind getting a used older model on eBay as long as it is better (PQ, construction overall).

I was thinking either used Canon EOS 30D or new Olympus E420 or 520...

What do you guys recommend?

Please help out this noob.

Thanks..
    One question: what is PQ?

I don't think that saying "what can I buy for $500" is the right way to choose, though it's understandable. You need to think medium term. You're committing yourself to a system so - what do you need? Do you really need the features of a semi-pro camera like the 30D? Does the Olympus range offer enough lenses and accessories (flash) to satisfy you in the future?

Personally I would avoid buying a camera like the 30D used:

- it's a semi-pro model so you might get one that's been heavily used. Ideally you want one that's done 500 shots, not 100,000
    - the build quality is probably not much better than less noble cameras like the Rebel. Some key components (sensor, image processor) are the same
    - each new generation in cameras brings a further step forward in image quality. The 30D was very good but it's two generations old now

If I was in your place and given the brands you name - I would go for the Canon system but look for a later-generation Rebel owned by a little old lady who only used it to do snaps of her grandchildren..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

So should I get Canon Rebel XS?

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

You want go far wrong with one of those but,there are other makes. I suggest you handle all of them and pick the one that feels right for you.

However, you have to remember it's the photographer, not the camera that makes the picture. You need make sure that you learn everything the camera has to offer and that you develop your technique and your eye for pictures.
    Last edited by straightarm; 06-17-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

I don't follow the Canon line very closely, and they have different names from in Europe. The XS is the 1000D which is a good buy. It's a slightly cheaper 400D. This means it has the following desirable features:

- sensor shaker
    - modern image processor

If you buy a kit with the lens - which I recommend - check out if the lens is the IS version of the plastic 18-55 lens. People are generally not enthusiastic about the previous versions (without IS) - it seems it lacked definition. Check the reviews on this site.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The Sony A300 offers a lot for a entry level camera. Plus the use of minolta lenses all stabilized.

I really liked my Rebels. Granted, I had exposure to SLRs in high school, but subsequently spent about 15 years without one. The Rebel *can* be used like a P&S, but can also be used fully manual as well, and all stages in between while you're learning. You'll like your image quality and can have fun with lenses too. I was never unhappy with either Rebel. They helped propel me to the next level, mostly by giving me confidence in my own abilities.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

does rebel xs aka 1000d have video mode? recording simple video clips

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

does rebel xs aka 1000d have video mode? recording simple video clips
    nope.........
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

What you haven't told us is why you want to get away from point and shoot. What do you want do do that your current P&S camera can't do? $500 isn't a lot to spend on a DSLR (especially when you consider that you have to get a lens, and accessories like a camera bag, memory cards, a spare battery, filters if you want to do creative work, etc., too), while you could get near top of the line in P&S that offers many features of DSLR for the same money.

That said, I am fond of the Canon EOS system, but I wouldn't exclude others.

Thread Information