Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

what digicam to replace s110?

Hopefully this is the right place to post asking for advice... I usually read the mtbr section...
    we started out with a canon powershot s100 a few years ago. Then we wanted video so we got an s110. Looking for advice on either ways to remedy what we do not like about the current camera, or possible replacements. We want to make sure we get good pics as we now have an infant and missing great image opportunities is a real bummer.
    Problems with s110:
    1. long time to power up.
    2. long time to take a pic after pressing the button
    3. MANY out of focus blurry crappy snapshots. on automatic mode outdoors. no brainer pictures.
    4. max video length of about 6 seconds, when combined with long delay to take a video, it's useless
    Things we like about the s100 and s110:
    1. Small, compact.
    2. Easy to use.
    3. Optical zoom, could even use more.
    4. we bought the underwater housing and that worked well for snorkeling. it doesnt work with the newer models, though...
    5. ability to just slide the memory card into the computer and drag and drop the files.
    6. we used the photostitching panorama feature a few times.

Overall we like the canon, and we were going to just get a new s410 after seeing my brother in law's and using it a little bit. Also, we could use our spare battery, memory card, and canon camera case with it. However, when we bought the s100 it was really the only small durable digicam. Now there are many more available in this class. I am really looking for a solid value camera. What are some competitors to the s410? Small, lightweight. 4 mp or so. video ability.
    We travel a lot, but are really not that into photography. But we really don't want to miss any magical moments with the baby due to a camera that is iffy.

Thanks in advance for advice from the experts out there!

Re: what digicam to replace s110?

Presuming you want to stay with Canon for obvious reasons (memory card, spare batteries, case, etc.), here's a list of most of the Canon 4-5 megapixel cameras. I've personally only tried two of them, being the Powershot A95 and the G5. Both great cameras, and I'd highly recommend the G5 if it's in your price range.

Jared

Welcome - I'm going to move this to the Digital Cameras Forum, you'll find help there.

if u like the s410 i would go ahead and buy one...

"Now there are many more available in this class." .. too many thats the problem and none stands out a mile from any of the others..

your requirements are pretty common (except praps the under water part) most makers aim their cameras at folks just like u... dont get bogged down in minutia..

not perhaps the advice u expected but if u want to take picutres its good advice.. if u like "investigating" ignore it.. he he

one thing i think is underated by most people is the Burst mode.. the ability of the camera to fire off three or four shots in rapid succession.. u probably still wont find a cheaper camera that snaps a pic of your baby as quick as u like.. but four quick one as it moves does at least enable u to pick the best one out of the bunch.. this applies to taking pics of any object in motion.. i dont know if the s410 has this ability or not but its worth looking for a camera that will do this..

now memory cards have got bigger and battery life better.. burst type shots are quite practical on cheaper cameras.. u use more card space but your chances of getting a really good pic go right up..

trog100

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Welcome - I'm going to move this to the Digital Cameras Forum, you'll find help there.
    Thank you very much.

Thread Information