Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question What camera should I go with? Need to replace the camera I got the GF for Xmas!

I have an amazing camera myself (Canon EOS 40d.) However - when it comes to point and click - I need some help. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas!

I bought an Olympus fe-4000 recently for the girlfriend (for Christmas). I am VERY dis-satisfied with the camera in general - which really sucks because she used to have an Olympus fe-280 and it worked great for her and quality was amazing. However the fe-4000 is WAY sub-par.

I am looking to return it and get another camera instead - however I do not know what camera to get. Someone mentioned to make sure the camera has OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION. I don't know what camera to buy. I am looking for one that has outstanding quality for a point and click (with good color and such), along with the ability to shoot decent photos in indoor lighting as well (as I am sure she will be taking a lot of self portraits). My prize range is the problem though. As I don't have much money - about $140. (I will probably buy online however cuz you can find anything for cheaper online).

Any suggestions??

Thank so much!!

(p.S.) preferably one that comes in different colors haha. She LOVES pink.
    Last edited by DavidMann1987; 12-26-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Re: What camera should I go with? Need to replace the camera I got the GF for Xmas!

Welcome to the site, David. Please tell us what's wrong with the Olympus FE-4000. It will tell us more about what you want - plus, I'm just curious what you don't like about it.

Right off the top of my head, I'd suggest you take a look at the Panasonic point-and-shoots. They all have optical image stabilization and I think they're very reliable and have great features. I'm sure they have something in your price range, too. They might even have something in pink

Here's a link to all of the Panasonic digital camera review categories on the site. I think your best bet is the 8-10 megapixel category:

Panasonic User Reviews >>

By the way - there are three kinds of image stabilization - optical, sensor-shift, and electronic. Optical and sensor-shift are effectively the same. They are mechanical and move a camera component to compensate for camera shake. I think either one is great. It's electronic image stabilization that you don't want. Generally, it just pumps up the ISO so it can use a faster shutter speed to freeze action. In low light photos, the result is very noisy (grainy) images.

Please write a review for your 40D! User reviews are the foundation of PhotographyREVIEW.com and we need your review! Here's a link to the 40D review page:

Canon EOS 40D User Reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information