Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

what camera to get to take great concert pictures without flash?

Hi,
    I'm pretty much a newbie looking for a decent digital camera (affordable)...I have a Kodak Easyshare CD33 and really want to upgrade. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot p200 and the S600 (b/c of the high ISO)...The reason for the upgrade is b/c my Kodak does not really take good CLEAR concert pictures without flash..I am looking for a camera that will do just that..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!
    -Michelle

Re: what camera to get to take great concert pictures without flash?

Hi:
    I can't help you much with the digital aspect, as I joined this form to learn about digital, just ordering y first digital camera yesterday(Kodak Z7590) but I can provide advise on the general photography aspect
    Using an internal flash(as in internal digital camera) are useless ater 20-25 feet. That's why you see the pros with the big handle mount flash units on their 35mm and larer formatcameras, and I good one costs more than a few hudred dollards.
    Saying that, this is what you must do for concert photos, assuming your at a distance exceeding 30 feet or so.
    Shoot at the largest apeture setting possible(largest opening.)
    Fine focus on the main subject as the depth of field is critical.
    Lets say for example you at a concert and their are five band members on stage. You are the same distance from all of them, fine focus and shoot. All members should be in sharp focus.
    The next concert you are showed off to the side ata30 degree angle. The closest band members is 15 feet away, the furthest 30 feet away. Whomever your fine focus on will be a sharp image, the others out of focus according to distance(depth of field)

So it a mixed bag, you require more light? You'll loose it on the depth of field. But just a little prepareness and forethought will get you through it.
    For example, when photgraphing a weeding, I always attended the rehearsal if the weeding was to be in a new setting. That way at time of the "main event", I knew what I needed,lenses,lighting etc. without fumbling etc. and it can make you lok like you know what your doing.;)

Re: what camera to get to take great concert pictures without flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacepanic02
    Hi,
    I'm pretty much a newbie looking for a decent digital camera (affordable)...I have a Kodak Easyshare CD33 and really want to upgrade. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot p200 and the S600 (b/c of the high ISO)...The reason for the upgrade is b/c my Kodak does not really take good CLEAR concert pictures without flash..I am looking for a camera that will do just that..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!
    -Michelle

Michelle,
    Welcome,

So whats "affordable", as your idea of affordable and mine may be totally different. Do you want a DSLR or P&S? Also, what kind of concerts are you talking about? What kind of distances are you from the subject(s)?
    These questions and more will help us help you.

Most P&S cameras do not do well in low light. Also high MP (6mp and up) P&S cameras are not as good as a 4mp P&S due to the size of the sensor pixels. You need a lens that is at least an f2.8 for low light.

With a DSLR, since you want less noise, avoid Nikon (I'll hear about that from the Nikon shooters ) however the Canon cameras are way ahead of the Nikons on noise control. Again, lower end DSLR's will have noise, and slow AF in low light. The advantage is you can change lenses for the job, and you can get f2.8 lenses at reasonable prices, and even f1.8 and f1.4 as well, all of which will help in low light.
    A Canon 50mm f1.8 lens can be had for $79, and the next version is $350 and it has IS (image stabilization) and then the 70-200mm f2.8 for around $1000

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information