Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

what camera to buy?

Hi everyone! so i have a few questions..
    firstly, i'm new with dslr cameras, i've used my friend's canon eos 500d camera on a few occasions, and it's intrigued me to no end.
    so, i was just wondering right now, should i buy a canon eos 60d or a nikon d7000? i'm really torn between these 2 choices because i dont really know specs and i'm looking for a durable, entry to mid-range dslr to start out with.
    also, what are the factors that affect the quality of a picture? i've been seeing megapixels everywhere, would a normal photographer really notice the difference between 2 megapixels?

Re: what camera to buy?

Hey,

50D was good, meant for semi-pros. With the arrival of 60D, I'm not sure what Canon meant with it. It's got a better sensor and better ISO performance (that mostly counts), but less fps and SD cards and some other stuff removed is weird. The Vari-Angle screen; it is good but I wouldnt consider it as an important feature.

The D7000 from Nikon is a completely opposite thing (because Nikon didnt bring such stuff before). 16 megapixel new sensor with great ISO performance, full time AF in video and many other things.

Here's a post called 'Buying a DSLR, what's important, megapixels, features, brand, price, quality - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com...lr-to-buy.html

Might help you..Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry8
    Hi everyone! so i have a few questions..
    firstly, i'm new with dslr cameras, i've used my friend's canon eos 500d camera on a few occasions, and it's intrigued me to no end.
    so, i was just wondering right now, should i buy a canon eos 60d or a nikon d7000? i'm really torn between these 2 choices because i dont really know specs and i'm looking for a durable, entry to mid-range dslr to start out with.
    also, what are the factors that affect the quality of a picture? i've been seeing megapixels everywhere, would a normal photographer really notice the difference between 2 megapixels?
    The 60D and D7000 are not entry-to-mid-range, more expert-to-low-end-pro.

Now about MPix. Decide what is going to be your final output. For most people this is an A4 (8x10 inch) print, or even (as in my case) an A3 print (about 16x20 inches). In my experience with different generations of DSLR:

- 6MPix is enough to make an excellent A4 print and even an excellent A3 print
    - With 10Mpix I can see a very slight improvement over 6Mpix on an A3 print
    - With 12Mpix I can't see any improvement over 10MPix

I've never tried 16Mpix or 18Mpix but I doubt very much if you would see any difference on an A3 print.

You might see a difference between 16Mpix and 18Mpix if you made a bill hoarding, but there is another factor to take into consideration. To be able to make use of this extreme level of definition then you need the best lenses possible (example 60mm Macro) and the best possible technique (camera on a heavy tripod or studio flash lighting). Otherwise your 18Mpix wonder is just going to be recording - blurrrrrr

BTW - if yout pictures are just going to be viewed on a computer screen then I've found that 800x600 pixels is enough to give an image that looks very good in tools like ACDSee or Picasa. 800x600 is only 0.5Mpix.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

what camera to buy?

A majority of cameras have a lens positioned in front of the camera's opening to gather the incoming light and focus all or part of the image on the recording surface. Most 20th century cameras used photographic film as a recording surface, while modern ones use an electronic camera sensor. The diameter of the aperture is often controlled by a diaphragm mechanism, but some cameras have a fixed-size aperture.

if you new in this area i think Nikon d90 will be the best choise for you. i buy it for my brother and he was happy to have it. i found Cheap Nikon D90 .

What camera to buy?

I suggest you to read specifications of both camera and purchase the one which suits to your requirement. But as far as my personal experience is concerned I prefer Nikon Camera. Any ways take your time and then decide. Have a good day

Thread Information