Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What is better Nikon lense wise?

Hello,

I have been looking at getting the Nikon D90. The 2 kits I have been looking at are as follows.

Kit 1 includes D90 body + 18-200mm VR II Lens

Kit 2 includes D90 body + 18-105mm VR Lens + 55-200mm VR Lens

I know with kit 1 there would be no need to change lens and that is nice. However is it better to have the 2 lenes (quality wise) compared to having just the one?? Do you lose anything with only having the one lens?

Thanks
    ~J

Re: What is better Nikon lense wise?

I have the 18-200 (first version) and I've compared it many times with lots of other lenses from the plastic 18-55 to the huge 80-200 f2.8 AF-S. The result is always the same - the 18-200 comes out worst in terms of definition. But not by a lot. If I look at an 8x10 inch print closely for a while I can just about see a difference.

I use the 18-200 a lot because I get the shots that the others miss because they are changing lenses or simply don't have the right lens with them. The ability to go from wide-angle to long tele with a compact, fairly lightweight lens is a big plus. I try to use at at apertures between f8 and f11 where it is performing best.

When I'm in a situation where I can take my time and I don't need a long tele I use something else like the 16-85 - the performance is the same at all focal lengths and apertures, you just shoot.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information