Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What is the best way to clean the LCD screen

Hi all
    I just bought a canon rebel xt. So far I love it (I don't even mind having to go through the menu to get to all the options). I have 2 questions though. I am wondering what is the best way to clean face grease off the LCD monitor. Rubbing it gently with a cloth just seems to be smearing it around. And, I am going to be going to israel next week, I know the air around the dead sea is really salty, is this going to damage anything?
    Thanks for any help.
    Vicki

My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Re: What is the best way to clean the LCD screen

I'm not sure what the best thing to clean it is but definatly get a LCD cover. B&H has them and they are fairly cheep, especially if you compair it to having the LCD screen replaced because it got scratched or damaged.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum Vicki! I have always had good luck using my shirt to clean off my LCD, as long as it's a cotton shirt. Some of the man made fibers seem to just smear it around.

Your XT isn't weather sealed and salt can get in it and cause some problems if your not carefull. I usually don't recomend clear UV filters for everyday lens protection, but in your case, I think it would be worth it, to keep the salt out of your lens. There are some rain covers you could get for your gear too if you are really worried about it, but I wouldn't go that far myself. I would keep my gear in it's case and take it out only when ready to take a shot just to be on the safe side.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'd be especially careful when changing lenses too - like as little as possible...

I don't use LCD covers, but I know some people cut pieces of the clear film that you put over the screen of a Palm Pilot for this. I've used Eclipse Lens Cleaning Solution and the cleaning pads that they sell for both my lenses and LCD screens. Works very well, but I don't think you can fly with it because it's combustible.

Thread Information