Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Trying to decide....

HI...I am new here...trying to decide between different brands of a digital camera...I have had the Canon Rebel 35mm for 2 years and love it...I am no pro, but love playing around..The last few months I have used hubby's HP 720 from his work and love it, but want to purchase something newer and more powerful. I want at least 10x optical and something that can go full manual or when I am lazy, all auto.
    I am looking at the Olympus Camedia 750 Ultra Zoom, Kodak Easyshare 6490, Minolta DiMage Z1 and the Fuji S500. Any Brand better than the other? I want ease of use...GREAT clear shots, night or day, macro or distant. HELP!!!!! There is too much information out there and too many opinions!!!! (Now, here I am asking yours!)
    If anybody has used any of these and has had a great experience, or not, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Suzy

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    It can be complicated with all the choices. Your requirement of a long zoom limits the field quite a bit. IMHO, eliminate the Kodak and Fui from the list.

I always suggest going to a big box store and trying out the cameras. Often, the choice can be dictated by ergonomics.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Suzy,

Quote Originally Posted by suzy
    HI...I am new here...trying to decide between different brands of a digital camera...I have had the Canon Rebel 35mm for 2 years and love it...I am no pro, but love playing around..The last few months I have used hubby's HP 720 from his work and love it, but want to purchase something newer and more powerful. I want at least 10x optical and something that can go full manual or when I am lazy, all auto.
    I am looking at the Olympus Camedia 750 Ultra Zoom, Kodak Easyshare 6490, Minolta DiMage Z1 and the Fuji S500. Any Brand better than the other? I want ease of use...GREAT clear shots, night or day, macro or distant. HELP!!!!! There is too much information out there and too many opinions!!!! (Now, here I am asking yours!)
    If anybody has used any of these and has had a great experience, or not, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Suzy
    I have had the Olympus C-740UZ for a little over a year and I like it very much. It was my first jump into digital photography. I just recently purchased the Canon 300D. Anyway,
    I still use the Olympus occasionally at work and I think it takes very nice pictures, some I have posted on Viewfinder. You can use an "Auto" setting that will take care of everything.
    It has a "Program" setting, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual settings. It is an easy and comfortable camera to use. Macro mode and White Balance options. I upgraded to the Canon because I wanted more versatility and creative choices but I do like the Olympus and I think you would find the 750 UZ a good useful camera.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

jeff

Thread Information