Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: tripod to buy

tripod to buy

hello

i am looking to buy a tripod.

i found one that i think is okay for what i want. not too heavy, rotational (vertical and horizontal)

Just have a query about the height of tripod. what should i be looking for if i am shooting cityscapes , landscapes et al.
    i know that you should have one that can go up to same height as the user. i am 5ft 10 and cant find one !

the make is manfratto

the spec is below:

Closed length: 61.00cm

Max. height without centre column: 135.00cm

Max. height: 178.00cm

Min. height: 8.00cm

Max. load capacity: 6.00kg

Weight: 2.30kg

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: tripod to buy

I have read a few reviews lately on different tripods. I've been looking for one about 6' tall (72"), because I am almost 6'4". I don't think you would want one of the ones I'm looking at, but both Manfrotto and Slik had tripods that were 75" when retracted. So I'm pretty sure they would make several at your height. I'm afraid I don't know the conversion of inches to metric, so I'm not sure of the one you are looking at. But a little research and hopefully some other ideas from here and you should find something very comfortable for you.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Don't forget about the head you put on it, and the height of the camera. They will both add a few inches to the overall height of the tripod. The specs for my tripod also say that is 135cm (4'4"), without the center column extended. (Bogen 3021BPro). The ballhead I have on my tripod is another 4.25" tall (Bogen 488RC2). My camera, Canon DRebel w/ battery grip, is another 4.75" tall, from the bottom to the view finder. That gives me a grand total of 5'1". I'm 6'1" tall and I have to bend my knees just a smidge to look thru the viewfinder. Standing up straight, right next to my camera while mounted to the tripod, the view finder is at my chin. An extra inch or two would be nice for me, but the higher you go, the less stable things become.

Depending on what head you put on the tripod, and what camera you use, I would think that the tripod you're looking at would be just fine. Remember, you are 5'10" tall, but your eyes aren't at the top of your head. Hope this helps.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

thanks for feedback. i dont mind crouching a little.

one of my main concerns was the weight of it aswell. i want to do quite a bit of work in london so dont want to be carrying around heavy equipment!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The tripod I have weighs about 5 or 6 pounds I think. Not something I like to go hiking with, but I do take it with me, because my cheap light weight tripod from Wal-mart isn't worth using most of the time. You could get a very sturdy, light weight carbon fiber tripod that would be much easier to carry around all day, but the price goes up with them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information