Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Travelling with a camera.... Best option?

I've been wanting to upgrade my camera for sometime now. Iw ould like to get a more professional one. I currently have a Kodak Easyshare DX6490.

Later in the year im going overseas, and would really like to take some great photos of the buildings etc.. On one hand, it would be easier to take a smaller camera, but they dont have much optical zoom. So, im thinking about the Fijifilm Digital Fixepix S9500 (S9000). The pirce isn't bad in Australia (just under $800), and it is going down a lot lately.

Would this type of camera be a good one to take overseas to get great photos?

It has 9 megapixels. The one i have now is only 4mp. Apart from the mega pixels and the optical zoom, the focus is important. The kodak one, seems to make so many photos blurry.....

Click here for specifications for the S9000

Thank you for anyhelp. Its appreciated.

Re: Travelling with a camera.... Best option?

I don't know about those cameras, specifically, but I can give you my thoughts about traveling with cameras.

I've taken a two-week trip to London over New Years for four years now. My first year I wasn't even going to take a camera because I didn't have a decent one, but the week before I left I changed my mind and purchased a film Rebel TI. I ended up with some of my favorite shots ever (Paris at dusk and Paris in the snow).

My second year I took my (new) Digital Rebel. Carrying it around wasn't so bad ... I had a couple of modular cases that fit together to carry the camera and an extra lens. It was bulkier than not carrying it, but I used it a LOT.

My third year I took the same setup but with an added zoom telephoto lens and tripod. I thought I'd feel self-conscious whipping out that "huge" (at least for a tourist) camera all the time, but again, I was very happy I had it along.

My fourth year I brought my Rebel (in a new gear bag) and also my Canon S500 P&S. The first week I only carried the P&S. By the end of the week I was SO disappointed in my pictures that I went back to carrying the Rebel. The little camera was "easier" to carry, but what I lost in control was not at all worth it.

Just my two cents. If I'm going on a trip, I want the best equipment I own, to capture the best photos I can. Convenience isn't worth it to me to miss out on memorable shots.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by sea_minerals
    I im thinking about the Fijifilm Digital Fixepix S9500 (S9000). The pirce isn't bad in Australia (just under $800), and it is going down a lot lately.

Would this type of camera be a good one to take overseas to get great photos?

It has 9 megapixels. The one i have now is only 4mp. Apart from the mega pixels and the optical zoom, the focus is important. The kodak one, seems to make so many photos blurry.....

Click here for specifications for the S9000

Thank you for anyhelp. Its appreciated.
    I would be very leary of the new small PS high megapixel carmera. The reason is the small size of the pixels, pixel to pixel leakage. The pixel leakage will degrade the images and also the smaller pixel are less sensitive to light. It has been mensioned in the magazine "Digital Photography", and some of the old carmeras take better photos than the new high mega pixel ones.

So if you can Try before you by.

GRF

I'm down in the Yucatan for 6 months. And, I have....

a P&S and a DSLR. I (much much) prefer to shoot with the DSLR and do not mind lugging it around.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Travelling with a camera.... Best option?-dsc_9599_mex060114_small.jpg  
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: I'm down in the Yucatan for 6 months. And, I have....

Hi Sea Minerals....I have used the Kodak DX 4330 for several years and still use it as a backup. I recently upgraded to the Nikon Coolpix 8400. I just want to offer you an option to think about. Kelly's Frey's and OS's advise is probably your best bet, but there are a couple of things I'd like to share. I upgraded mostly because of price. I got a great deal on the 8400 and just couldn't pass it up. However, much of my work is macro and landscapes. Hence a good camera for this and on top of that...it is teaching me good photographic technique that my kodak didn't. I'm very disappointed in the zoom though when it comes to trying to take birds in flight or trying to get that great kick at the grandkids soccer games. It just doesn't have range. However, because of the 8mp...I can crop it and get a decent picture when I need to. My point is, whichever camera you decide on, there will be trade offs. The most versatile cameras are the DSLR's (I assume you want digital), but there are some nice "prosumer" cameras out there that might fit your needs. You already mentioned the Fuji, but the Kodak zooms and the Nikon CP8700 and 8800, and I can't think of the Canon's at this time may also fit your needs just as well, with only a slight loss in quality.
    As for Megapixels...as it has been mentioned here alot...especially by me...hehe...sensor size is more important. Try to find a digital with a full size sensor. The folks here at PR have taught me that.
    In closing, DSLR's...best bet, but need to invest in a good multipurpose lens or a couple of specialty lenses to meet all your needs. Prosumers...versatile, but with limitations especially zoom vs wide angle, but most have good manual control and you can create great pictures with them. Point and Shoots...small, convenient, but limited in their abilities. Good pictures can be captured, but you may lose some in quality. The big thing is, go to the camera store and play with some of the ones you are interested in...ask questions of the salesperson, read reviews on this and other sites and then choose a couple and come back here and ask our opinions. One last thing to remember, there is a learning curve to anything you want to purchase, especially if you are used to a point and shoot. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to learn your new camera so that you can react without having to think a lot!!! I hope I haven't confused you...good luck and keep us up to date on what you decide!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thank you to who responded. Its very much appreciated.

I have been looking at the SLR Cameras lately and even though at this point I wouldn't be buying many additional lenses, it would be good to have that option. I probably wouldn't buy one for about 6 months. So I am hoping by then, the ones that are out now, will have gone down in price.

The one I was looking at the Fuji S9000 has gone down about $200 in the last few months. So far, the thing I’m not 100% sure on for the Fuji S9000 as the lens is attached. I’m worried that this will become a bit of a hassle or annoyance with it always being there.

On the Fuji S9000 it has 9 pixels, while some SLR cameras I’ve seen have only 6.1 pixels. Is it better to go with the more pixels or the better type of camera (SLR?) I mainly take photos of landscapes, sunsets, animals, weather, and i have been trying lately to take close up shots of insects (bees/butterflies etc) - but with the camera I have, (4mp) i cant get that close before it becomes blurry. I took the camera to a concert the other night and was very disappointed in how the photos came out. They were extremely dark, the flash barely did a thing.

I saw a Pentax *istDL/Sigma 18-50mm Kit (Link) on sale for $999 If I get a SLR camera what are the main things to look for in a good one? Do you have to buy extra lenses to get good shots? Do they still have a good zoom on them with out the additional lenses?

Oh, i have also seen some cameras take 4 AA Batteries while some have the rechargeable square battery. Which is better? A few have both types. My first digital camera took 4 AA batteries and it seems to be constantly running out of power. The one I use now is a rechargeable Kodak one that came with the camera and lasts for a long time.

Well I think that’s enough questions for one post! Thank you to all once again!

Thread Information