Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Tradeoff with extra zoom?

I would appreciate if anyone could offer advice.

I currently have the Canon Ixus 400 and I am looking to upgrade. Although I've been failry happy with the camera I'm finding that the 3x zoom on the Ixus 400 is inadequate. The other issue I have is that photos are blurry with even fairly slow movement and photos are often blurry in low light - although it could be that I have not been using the manual controls properly.

The question I have is, someone told me that the bigger the zoom is, the worse my problems would be with movement and low light. Is this true?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Tradeoff with extra zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy
    I would appreciate if anyone could offer advice.

I currently have the Canon Ixus 400 and I am looking to upgrade. Although I've been failry happy with the camera I'm finding that the 3x zoom on the Ixus 400 is inadequate. The other issue I have is that photos are blurry with even fairly slow movement and photos are often blurry in low light - although it could be that I have not been using the manual controls properly.

The question I have is, someone told me that the bigger the zoom is, the worse my problems would be with movement and low light. Is this true?
    Well, I have a Canon 400 and my photos have none of the problems you describe. I'd suggest working on your technique before investing in new equipment!

Yes, the longer the lens, the more optical problems you will find. However, unless you are a real expert, I doubt that you will notice them. A longer zoom is nice to have! But yes, with a longer zoom you will definately have to get your skills up to standard.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Tradeoff with extra zoom?

You get blurred pictures with moving subjects/low light, because the shutter speed you are shooting is too slow (smaller number). If you want to shoot in manual mode, you need to understand concepts like shutter speed, aperture, iso sensitivity, etc. Otherwise, the factory sports, landscape, macro, etc, can help, avoid full auto when possible (full auto tries to guess what kind of picture it is, but cameras doesn't have a brain, so it's better to help them, and set the scene type).

Thread Information