Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sunny F16 rule apply to compact cameras?

Hello,

I'm trying to use my camera in full manual mode now and have been reading up on the sunny f16 rule.

I'm considering purchasing the Canon s95 so I can have a camera on me most of the time so I can get used to the manual mode.

What I want to know is if I used the sunny f16 rule with the canon would it give me similar results to a DSLR?

I know that the Canon S95 will offer better DOF at the higher F points. (ie I think f5.6 is equivalent to f22??).

Re: Sunny F16 rule apply to compact cameras?

There is no f16 on digicams. most cap out at ~ f/8. I think the S95 is like that too.

f/5.6 is f/5.6, nothing else. However, the smaller lens of the S95 (~ 4mm-8mm) produces longer depth of field (relative to image circle), so yeah, f/2 on the S95 is not actually all that narrow of dof.

The word "better" isn't properly applied in your last statement. "better" can, and often does mean "narrower" to a lot of people. That is one of the main attractions to DSLR, narrow DOF, and overall more comprehensive DOF control. DSLR's can produce longer and shorter dof than any digicam can.

Full manual is sometimes unnecessarily burdensome, aperture and shutter priority are sometimes more practical ways to have a solid control over the metering and AF function and still not have to have your nose stuck in metering all the time.

The sunny f16 rule was invented in the early/mid 1900's to help people get decent exposures. Metering was a lot trickier then, its not neccesarily a 'technique' that can be applied, its more of a general rule of thumb to help you measure light.

Re: Sunny F16 rule apply to compact cameras?

Thanks Anbesol.

I did a check after I sent the post and realised that the S95 wouldn't go to F16/22.

I think I will use the Sunny F16 rule for my main camera. I just want to see what results I get using this rule. I know that some adjustments will have to be made to get a correct exposure but guess that's the beuaty of digital cameras - you can check in seconds.

I want to get more understanding of using manual and feel this rule will help.

Decided that the S95 will be used to take readings for certain pictures. Ie green grass / Sky etc.

Thanks again.

Thread Information