Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Suggestion for Point and Shoot careras

Hello to everybody!

I'm a beginner with photo-shooting, and looking for a new compact, point and shoot digital camera to replace my Panasonic DMC-FX10 cos it fell into water on my last trip.

I'm looking on shooting armature outdoor pictures and I've done some research on what would be fit for my choice.

I have a budget of $300 and below is the list of cameras that i'm considering on buying. I wanted to ask your suggestions and experience you've had with them.

1. Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR
    2. Panasonic DMC-FX580
    3. Olympus Stylus 9000
    4. Panasonic DMC-ZS3
    5. Nikon Coolpix S70
    6. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290

I will greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions on one of the above.

Thanks,
    Derek

Re: Suggestion for Point and Shoot careras

From the choices above I will go with the Panasonic Panasonic DMC-ZS3 no doubt...Leica glass 12x zoom wide angles lens....cant go wrong with that one.

Second....choice the Sony with its Zeiss glass.

I must say I haven't own any of these so my opinion is not a well studied one. I suggest to go a look for In-depth reviews of each and study them to find something that fits for your needs.

HTH

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

From that list, I like the Panasonic ZS3 / TZ7 and the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR the most. The Panasonic ZS3 / TZ7 has what I think is the best feature set on a camera that size. And the Fujifilm F200EXR looks good with their new EXR sensor. Inn case you haven't seen it, Fujifilm also has a pocket superzoom like the Panasonic ZS3 / TZ7. It's called the Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR and it has a 10x 27-270mm zoom lens along with the EXR sensor. Here's my announcement article on that camera: http://reviews.photographyreview.com...cd-exr-sensor/

Have you considered a waterproof camera? The cameras you listed are all good but since you dropped your last camera in water, maybe waterproof would be a good feature? If so, take a look at my Outdoor And Waterproof Digital Cameras article. There is a compromise in image quality with the waterproof / shockproof point-and-shoots. But if you're upgrading from an older camera, they might still be better than what you had. And you can't beat them if you're outdoors in the weather or around water a lot.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

thanks for the replies guys, im going with Panasonic ZS3

Thread Information