Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

street photography

hiya

i am looking at doing some street photography in london this / next week.

what is considered to be the best way of getting the correct exposure? should i take a reading from a building with mid tones. or another area? i am looking to take some of built up streets so not sure if taking a reading from sky would be correct method

any tips appreciated
    martin

Re: street photography

Is this a digital camera question? If so, does your digital camera have an image histogram? If it does, that's the absolute best exposure tool. I usually shoot a quick test, check the histogram, then tune up my exposure. Being able to evaluate and tune up your exposure is one of the best things about digital photography.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

yes i have the canon 20d.

good point! i could check the histogram

are there any other tips when shooting streets?

i have just read that best thing to do for street photography is use autofocus, iso 400 and use program mode. any thoughts on this?

Histogram

Quote Originally Posted by chopperward
    yes i have the canon 20d.

good point! i could check the histogram

are there any other tips when shooting streets?
    The histogram is absolutely the best exposure tool ever invented. Just make sure your exposure isn't clipping the highlights (right side of the histogram).

Besides basic stuff like careful exposure, I think the most important thing for street photography is blending in. You don't want to be too obvious. I like a wide lens and I like to shoot from the hip. You can preset your focus and switch it to manual to lock it. If you have a wide lens and stop down to f/8 you can shoot without worrying about focus. The depth-of-field will take care of the focus for you. That's a fun way to shoot on the street. I like to shoot while walking to get a little motion blur.

Don't be afraid to ask people if you can take their picture. Usually they're very cooperative. And asking can be the difference between a crappy "sniper" shot and a great street portrait.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information