Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sports Photography

i am a PE teacher and am looking to purchase a camera specifically for sports photos, my budget would be around £350, what type, model and make of camera would i be best getting for best results?
    any help welcome
    cheers
    scott

Re: Sports Photography

That's a decent budget - enough to invest in an inexpensive or used digital SLR. Sports is one of the more demanding subjects and really benefits from better camera equipment. I'd recommend looking at entry-level digital SLR kits from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Sony. You won't get a lot for the amount of money you have now. However, investing in a digital SLR now is better for the long-term. Digital SLRs have better auto focus, faster burst rates, and minimal shutter-lag - all important for action photography. What you won't be able to get is a long telephoto lens, so you'll have to stay close for photos. Here's a link to our digital SLR reviews:

Digital SLR User Reviews >>

You might also want to post on our Sports Photography forum and see what the guys there have to say.

I'm sure I didn't really answer your question completely and you'll have more questions. Take a look at those links and then post again and we'll give you some more direction
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

To expand a bit on what Photo-John said. There are certain necessities for sports photography. Fast shutter speeds to freeze the action. Shutter speed comes in two forms. The actual speed that the shutter moves and the shutter lag from the time you trip the shutter release and the photo is recorded. DSLR's have actual physical shutters. P&S camera's by in large do not have a physical shutter which contributes to shutter lag.

You need a fast auto focus system. This is a two part system, part body, part glass. A DSLR will provide a far quicker AF system then a P&S if you choose your equipment wisely. I shot sports and I shoot Canon equipment. Canon makes an 85mm f1.8 lens that is a favorite of sports photographers and costs around $400.00. They also make an 85mm f1.2 that sells for closer to $1700.00. For that price you would expect the lens to be better. Image quality wise it is somewhat, but the focus speed of that lens is terrible compared to the F1.8. Your consideration needs to include the body and len(s) that you want to get.

Bodies for sports photography needs to have good ISO qualities with a large ISO range. This is more important if you are shooting indoors than outside where there is generally more light. Night time photography provides it's own set of issues similar to indoor shooting Again a DSLR will generally have better ISO performance. Your choice of body should include the types and locations you will be shooting, day/night/indoor and select from those bodies that best meet those needs. Not all DSLR bodies are the same when it comes to ISO. Canon and Nikon have the best overall ISO quality when covering the whole range. This means little to nothing however if you are shooting outdoors in broad daylight. All DSLR's handle low ISO very well.

The suggestion of the sports forum is a good one. You will also get a chance to see what kind of gear that some of the sports shooters use.

Junior Member NostalgicMemories's Avatar

Have you checked out the Pentax Optio W90? new as of 6 months or so ago. Great little point and shoot for extreme photography. I bought one two months ago for underwater and sports check it out :thumbsup:
    Distinct Captures of Your Memories
    Nostalgic Memories by Lea

Thanks for commenting, NostalgicMemories. But instead of linking to dpreview, you might have linked to my hands-on article and video about the W90. It's got a lot more info than the press release / announcement you linked to.

Pentax Optio W90 Waterprooof Camera Preview >>

And even though I think the W90 and waterproof point-and-shoots are great outdoor cameras, I don't think they cut the mustard for serious action sports photography. They're too slow and the image quality isn't up to par compared to a digital SLR.

By the way, welcome to the site! Please don't take offense at my post. I just wanted to make sure that the original poster and anyone else looking at this thread gets the best guidance possible. Regardless, we're always happy to have new members - especially if they're willing to take the time and make the effort to share with their fellow photographers
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Can you specify what type of sport?

Thread Information