Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Y4J

By specs, which is better?

There are 2 cameras im looking into for buying for someone. Here they are.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830111002 - Olympus FE-130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120039 - Canon A430

I know the Olympus has a better megapixel number BUT I know the Canon has gotten great reviews and records video AND sound. I think I like the Olympus just because of the slick look lol, but the Canon looks like an all around good camera.

By looking at the camera and all around specs, which one do you think is better?

Thanks in advance.

Re: By specs, which is better?

Tha Canon A-series cameras are proven. They've been making them for years now and one or another of them has been on our most popular list almost all the time. Canon is also the most popular brand on this site - and in the world, really.

I really like Olympus cameras. I've happily used Olympus compact digitals in the past few months. And I generally like their compacts better than the Canon compacts. But the FE-series is a new one and I have heard very little about it. Nor have I used any of the FE cameras. They were designed so that the photographer needs no computer access.

I don't know how much what I've told you helps. If my choice was between those two cameras I'd choose the Canon.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Y4J

Yea I too have an Olympus D540 and I love the thing. The FE has a really nice look to it though :P Honestly that's probably the reason why I like it so much, but then again, looks dont always matter.

What do you mean by designed for no computer access?

Quote Originally Posted by Y4J
    What do you mean by designed for no computer access?
    It was designed along with some accessories - a printer and a storage device, if I remember right. You can use those accessories and you don't need a computer to shoot, view, save, print, etc. It's sort of a gimic for people who don't own a computer but want to get into digit photography. Or, it could also be for people who don't always have computer access but want to use a digital camera.

Sorry I didn't answer about the specs. I didn't feel like doing an extensive comparison. Honestly, most big name digital cameras are pretty good now. What's important is that you're comfortable with the camera you buy and it has all the features you want. In most cases, I don't think people are going to buy a camera and be really disappointed anymore. The main exception is if you want to do a lot of action photography or take pictures of pets of kids. Those subjects are still a little tough for the majority of compact digital cameras.

Does the D540 use the xD memory? If it does, and you've already got a decent amount of memory, that would be a good reason to go with the Olympus. I don't think it's going to be a bad camera. But popular opinion would make me lean toward the Canon. On the other hand, if you can spend more, I'd recommend taking a look at the Olympus Stylus Digital series cameras. I used the Stylus Digital 800 for a while and I thought it was a great camera.
    Photo-John

Y4J

I just went to the store and saw THIS camera.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_Digi...4905&tag=uolst

The only thing I wasn't sure of is the fact that it was Samsung and I haven't heard a TON about their digital stuff. But from what I tried, it took some great pics and video with sound. But you got any idea about Samsung or even this one?

I know I sell a ton of them, and so far everyone seems happy. I can't remember specifics about it, but It's a neat camera. If you do get it, get the black one, it looks better...lol

I've used three Samsung digital cameras. I've posted pro reviews for two of them and someone else is working on a review for the Samsung Pro815: http://www.photographyreview.com/proreviewscrx.aspx

My experience with Samsung cameras has been that they have neat features, they work reasonably well, and you get a lot of stuff for your money. But image quality has been sub-par. It hasn't been horrible or unusable. But I think you can find something better for the same money. I'd still go with the Canon.
    Photo-John

Y4J

Even though the Samsung is 5.1 megapixels and the Canon is 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Y4J
    Even though the Samsung is 5.1 megapixels and the Canon is 4?
    Hmmmmm - I need to write that piece on the megapixel myth that I keep threatening.

That's a tough call. Generally, the number of pixels doesn't make as much difference as the camera makers and sellers would have us believe. There are other factors that can play a larger role in image quality. You could buy a 7-megapixel camera and if the lens is bad and there's a lot of digital noise, a 4-megapixel camera might suit you better. In this case, the Samsung has 25% more resolution. That's enough to count. However, in my experience, 5-megapixel camera sensors have been generally poor and I would usually take a 4-megapixel camera over a 5-megapixel camera. Unless there are some features you want on the Samsung that aren't on the Canon, I still think I'd go with the Canon. You might also search the Web for sample images from both cameras. We may have them on our gallery, although we won't have the studio samples because I haven't tested either camera.
    Photo-John

I truly do agree with PJ on this, I'd go with the Canon.

As for the megapixel thing, it's not as simple as camera companies make you think. PJ has been great in helping people to understand this. Personally, I know from experience, that the lens quality can make a big difference when you are talking about such a small difference in MP.

PJ's tha man, he'll steer you right.

Thread Information