Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sony H50 vs. Nikon P80...help me please

Hi everyone. I am new to digital photography and I'm really excited about getting started and taking some photos. I have been looking around these two cameras seem to be the best for me...as my price range is probably at max...400 - 450 dollars. I'll provide a link to each camera so you can see the specs...which one do you think is best?

Thanks!

Sony

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665309451

Nikon

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...PIX%20P80.html

Re: Sony H50 vs. Nikon P80...help me please

Hi,
    I just bought a camera, and these exact models were also my finalists. It was a tough call, especially since I am also new to photography, and since both these cameras are so new, it's hard to find reviews. In my end decision, I went with the Nikon.

If you haven't seen it already, here's a side-by-side comparison.

I've only had it for a week, but so far, I really like the Nikon. I has a nicer feel in the hand, and is lighter than the Sony. (But everyone's hands are different; be sure you physically handle both before you decide.)

The P80 also has a longer zoom (18x vs. 15x), and options for faster continuous shooting (up to 13 frames per sec, though only at 3mp), both of which are important to me. The screen is beautiful, and the menu is simple and intuitive, but still has plenty of options.

Still, the Sony has some cool features: a tilt screen, smile recognition software, NightShot (shoot infra-red in total darkness), optional HDMI output, auto-focus that (supposedly) predicts moving objects, and remote control. All of these were tempting for me, but when I tried to consider it objectively, I decided they are probably just cool gimmicks that I wouldn't actually use very much.

Cons for each:
    For the Nikon, a couple reviews I found (I think I saw them on Amazon) said that the it tends to produce pics that are a little noisy, but I haven't had much trouble with it. One downside, though, is battery life: it gets only about 250 shots per charge, as opposed to 350-400 shots for the H50.

For Sony H50, it uses the same menu as the H9, which many reviews say is clunky and awkward. I found this to be somewhat true from handling it in the store, but I don't know if it's major drawback. I found it more dissapointing that the scroll wheel is very limited, and D-pad is tiny, making the whole interface pretty cramped (but again, that's just to my hands). It also uses a Memory Stick Duo, rather than the P80's faster and cheaper SD.

If you can stand to wait a few months (I couldn't), I would highly recommend checking out the pro reviews here are photographyreview.com, or at dpreview.com.

If you can't wait, I would say it depends on what you want it for. For me, it came down to higher zoom and fps verses cool "extras". On that score, the Nikon won out, but I think I would have been happy with the ease-of-use and photo quality of either.

Re: Sony H50 vs. Nikon P80...help me please

I see they have the reviews up for the Nikon P80 at a few Review sites, but not the Sony DSC-50 yet? The Sony came out before the Nikon did too? What's up with that?

I decided to get the Sony yesterday. I was picking between the Nikon P80 & Sony DSC-H50/B and after playing with both for over an hour, the Sony was clearly the better camera. Much sharper low light hand-held photo's and faster zoom and crisper photo's. I like the remote for the Sony too and the flip out LCD which Nikon has neither of. Also, the Nikon is suppose to have the longer zoom, but when I was comparing shots, the Nikon didn't zoom in as much as the Sony??? I shot several to confirm photos that. The Nikon had a slightly wider lens though.

I never forgot when I first bought the Sony DSC-H1. That was a great camera... I used it for 2 years. My camera before this new Sony? The Canon S5is which I just sold today on craiglist. I tend to keep these cameras only 6 months at a time, then get the latest one out. The Sony H1 was the only camera I EVER kept longer than 6 months... it was that good. I thought I'd try the Canon S5is and it was a good camera, but I missed the Sony... so I got the latest one.

Once again I toyed with getting a DSLR, but it just doesn't justify the bulk and price, compared to these superzooms. Try packing around 3 lenses that will reach the 31 - 465 mm range that the DSC-50 has! With the loads of exposure control and a 15x stabilized optical zoom, this model is thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent options on a dSLR with an image stabilized lens. NOPE, no DSLR for me.

My review on it with photo's will be in next thread below tomorrow.

Thread Information