Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Question..??

Question..??

Hi there! What's the standard in terms of pixels for a quality digital camera? I just heard about that new V710 phone from motorola that's supposed to have an integrated digital camera on par with that of regular digital cams...1.2M. Well, in addition to video capture and removable memory. Hmph, not bad for a phone, I guess (www.hellomoto.com/producer
    Thanks much!

3-5 Megapixels

4 megapixels is the norm at the moment. I'd say 2-3 megapixels is the current tiny or inexpensive camera standard. But 1.2 megapixels is nowhere near standard or adequate. At least not as far as most of the people using this site are concerned. That would be ok for posting to the Web and that's about it. I suppose you might be able to make a decent 4x6 print. But don't think the number of pixels is all that matters. The quality of the pixels, the lens, and the exposure control are all just as important, if not more so.

So, if you're thinking of buying a Motorola camera phone instead of a good digital camera, keep your expectations low. No matter how much better it might be than current camera phones, it will still be a toy compared to "real" digital cameras. If it were me, I'd forget the camera phone, get the free phone or stick with the phone I already have, and buy a good 4 megapixel digital camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information