Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Sony Cybershot

Sony Cybershot

This is a pretty novice question, but I've got Sony Cybershot DSC-P100. What are the best settings for natural light. Like I want to take a picture of the city lights without the flash, but the steady cam indicator comes on and if I move even a little the pic comes out a little blurry. Any suggestions?

P.S. Did I mention I got it with out an instruction book.

Night Shot

Well, city lights aren't what I'd call "natural" light. That's a night shot and you'll need a tripod. Some cameras have a night shot setting. I wouldn't be surprised if yours does. But the most important thing is the tripod. That will keep your camera steady and allow you to make the long exposure you need to get enough light for the photo you describe. Put your camera on the tripod and either use the remote (if you have one) or the timer. That way pushing the shutter release button won't shake the camera during your exposure. I would also recommend manually setting the ISO at the lowest setting. If it's on auto it will go to the highest setting and you'll have a lot of noise in your photo. It would probably also be good to set your camera's exposure compensation for -1 or -2 so that the photo is actually dark. Otherwise the camera will try to make the photo look light daylight. And that's not what you want a night shot to look like.

Hope that's not too much to digest. Let me know if you have more questions. I'm happy to help.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Night Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Well, city lights aren't what I'd call "natural" light. That's a night shot and you'll need a tripod. Some cameras have a night shot setting. I wouldn't be surprised if yours does. But the most important thing is the tripod. That will keep your camera steady and allow you to make the long exposure you need to get enough light for the photo you describe. Put your camera on the tripod and either use the remote (if you have one) or the timer. That way pushing the shutter release button won't shake the camera during your exposure. I would also recommend manually setting the ISO at the lowest setting. If it's on auto it will go to the highest setting and you'll have a lot of noise in your photo. It would probably also be good to set your camera's exposure compensation for -1 or -2 so that the photo is actually dark. Otherwise the camera will try to make the photo look light daylight. And that's not what you want a night shot to look like.

Hope that's not too much to digest. Let me know if you have more questions. I'm happy to help.
    Actually that was very good information. Now I know a little more what the ISO is all about. Thank you.

Re: Night Shot

Quote Originally Posted by etarnkufecin
    Actually that was very good information. Now I know a little more what the ISO is all about. Thank you.
    Excellent! I think the tripod is the most important thing for what you want to do. Please post some pictures when you get something you like!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information