Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Post Sony a380 OR Nikon D5000

Hello, My name is Greg, im new to SLR photography after playing about on my dads konica minolta for a few years i felt it about time that i went and bought a new camera of my own. Having taken holiday pictures with my good old nikon coolpix. I thought it about time to venture into the wide world of DSLR's. Could i please get some advice from all you guys and gals on the forum about wether to go with my heart (sony a380) or me Head and purchase the (Nikon D5000), both from my local Jessops. P.S i would be taking Landscape, Still Life, and macro images such as flowers plants, and wildlife.

Thank You for your time, and look forward to reading your replies. :thumbsup:

Greg Forsyth
    Perth Scotland

Re: Sony a380 OR Nikon D5000

The Sony 300 series is about the best Live View in the business and having all your lenses (even used, high value Minolta glass - own any a-mount lenses?) image stabilized. If these two things are not important, look elsewhere. Also, check the recently discontinued A300/350 if the A330/380 doesn't fit your hands/style. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Why does your heart want the Sony? Just curious.

Generally, I think you should compare cameras carefully but pay close attention to what your heart wants. If you go against your heart, you're likely to always wonder if you did the right thing. And the reality is, there are no bad DSLRs right now. So you really can't make a bad decision.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Both are great cameras. I would suggest going into the camera shop which sells both and get to know each camera. Sony currently has a smaller selection of lenses but they also have old Minolta glass which can be purchased for a low price. Nikon has an amazing number of lenses, but thats just the tip of the ice burg. I suggest doing alot of research on both cam's.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Thread Information