Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sony 717 Mode Dial

I am very disappointed in Sony's handling of a weird problem. The icons on the mode dial on my camera have inexplicable come off. The camera is about 15 months old, lightly used and in mint condition elsewise. After spending a long time getting only inappropriate answers on Sony's web site I contacted the Sony national automated phone number and had to make three calls to get the system to give me a human operator who proceded to send me to a Sony authorized service place about 18 miles from my home. When I got there they informed me that they have never repaired cameras. I was then quoted a price of $159 plus shipping to have the unit repaired by Sony in Connecticut. I feel that this is unreasonable given the newness of the camera and the minor nature of the problem. I would like someone from Sony to contact me with a higher level authority who I can take my problem to. The phone and web support systems are totally frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrubin5
    I am very disappointed in Sony's handling of a weird problem. The icons on the mode dial on my camera have inexplicable come off. The camera is about 15 months old, lightly used and in mint condition elsewise. After spending a long time getting only inappropriate answers on Sony's web site I contacted the Sony national automated phone number and had to make three calls to get the system to give me a human operator who proceded to send me to a Sony authorized service place about 18 miles from my home. When I got there they informed me that they have never repaired cameras. I was then quoted a price of $159 plus shipping to have the unit repaired by Sony in Connecticut. I feel that this is unreasonable given the newness of the camera and the minor nature of the problem. I would like someone from Sony to contact me with a higher level authority who I can take my problem to. The phone and web support systems are totally frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?
    Richard
    Sigh...Sony has the worst customer service I and my company have ever dealt with.

All I can say is, get a number you can call repeatedly, with a person you can always ask for. Keep harrasing them until you get to talk to a higher-up. That was the only way I could return my 717 that I got directly from them. We ran into another problem at work with a SOny monitor. It took them three months to send a replacement, after we gave them our credit card info for expedited replacement. In the end though they sent us an 18 inch LCD instead of the 17 we got originally, they were out of stock on the 17s.

That is the biggest reason I am shying away from SOny products, their customer service is terrible at best.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sony Service

Thanks Sebastian- I suspected that one of their Aibos robot dogs was in charge of their service now i know.

Richard

Thread Information