Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Somewhat specific spec's wanted, but I need help finding options fitting 'em!

Hello alls, I'm in need of a new camera sooner or later, and lately I've been having a tough time finding models that actually fit what I want out of it, so I came here to get some help from people who actually know where to look, heh.

Let's cut to the chase. I have no brand preferences whatsoever, so that's out of the way. My preferred budget is $250, but will hit $300 reluctantly if need be, so that puts me in a point/shoot range. For the camera itself, I'd need at least 7x optical zoom, and capable of 1920x1080 video recording as well. I'd also really enjoy the ability for such a camera to double as a PC webcam, when jacked into it. Finally, if the cam can support an external microphone of some sort, that'd be a top priority for me (I'm not sure whether a camera supports this, as opposed to many camcorders). If I can get any recommendations, that'd be just awesome, since I'm having some difficulties finding something that'll really fit this!

Oh, also, forgot to mention. This camera will mostly see action on vacation (tripodless) taking photos of landscapes, people, etc., but the real purpose that I'm setting up for is to take some amateur videos on a tripod using greenscreens and setup scenarios to be edited later on a computer with programs such as Vegas, Premiere, etc. (haven't decided yet). I may also decide to use this cam in a class I'm taking where we could be doing some image editing via Adobe Photoshop and Ilustrator, as well. I'd say color quality is also of priority, but I'm not necessarily seeking the best in reality.
    Last edited by ablahblah; 04-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Thread Information