Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings

I am a watercolor painter and want to take a digital image into a software program that will find the outline edges or make a photocopy and print the image in an 11 x 15 or 16 x 20 size black and white with good defined edges, and tile the image so it can be printed on standard size paper so I can tape the paper together prior to transferring the image to my canvas or watercolor paper. Does anyone know of a good software program that will do this.

I have used Microsoft Picture It with some success and I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 but I haven't been as successful with this program.
    Thanks from a new member and sorry if this has been answered numerous times before. ns

Re: Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings

This too me about 45 seconds in photoshop if this is what you're looking for. From the filter menu I chose - stylize - glowing edges, then did an inverse, then increased the contrast and converted to grey scale. I don't know if elements has glowing edges or not. If not it may have something similar.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    This too me about 45 seconds in photoshop if this is what you're looking for. From the filter menu I chose - stylize - glowing edges, then did an inverse, then increased the contrast and converted to grey scale. I don't know if elements has glowing edges or not. If not it may have something similar.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much.
    I just tried it in Elements with a photo of my grandson and I'm pleased with the results but there is a little too much "noise" in the face. I still don't know how to enlarge the print to a 11 x 15 and tile to print. Any experience with this? ns

Could you post both your before and after photos so we can have a look?

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    Could you post both your before and after photos so we can have a look?

I have been trying to post the photos but I'm having a difficult time getting them small enough. I've not posted photos before. Can you give me a suggestion on how best to do it? Thanks, ns

Quote Originally Posted by Nancys
    [IMG]http://[/IMG]

I have been trying to post the photos but I'm having a difficult time getting them small enough. I've not posted photos before. Can you give me a suggestion on how best to do it? Thanks, ns

I've tried again and I think they are attached. We'll see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings-2004-11-12-bday-004.jpg   Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings-brent-cropped.jpg  

Nancy-
    Glad to see you got some help. I don't think there's any really simple way to do this. Actually, I'm sure there is, but I don't know what it is. I'd take what you already have here and then edit it some more to simplify and clean it up. If you increase the contrast and use the paintbrush to cover up some of the gray areas, you should be able to get something very close to a line drawing. Save some copies and experiment with the levels adjustment tool and other filters.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah, I agree with John, you may have to take what you have there and try to manually clean it up a little.

PhotoShop with Zero Plugin "Lineart"
    The plugin is free
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings-2004-11-12-bday-004xjpg.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Nancys
    I just tried it in Elements with a photo of my grandson and I'm pleased with the results but there is a little too much "noise" in the face.
    Paintshop Pro (version 7 at least) has an effect called Edge Preserving Smooth that could help. It evens out large areas like a blur does while still keeping some of the more definate lines. That means there is less detail that would result in that "noise" you don't like. I think that some of the effects that Hodgy has devoloped for portraits would be usefull the same way.

Here's an example with the original, maximum Edge Preserving Smooth, Black Pencil effect of second image, Pencil effect of the second image.

I don't know if other editing programs have something like the Edge Preserving Smooth. I like to use it when I want a watercolor feel to an image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Software for Digital Images to Line Drawings-001.jpg  

Thread Information