Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Small-budget camera with manual options?

Hey all,

I'm (obviously) new here and am looking for some help. I currently have a Pentax Optio s5i that has served me well for many, many years, but as I'm getting more interested in photography, I get frustrated by the limitations from using this point & shoot. I'd really like to be able to set aperture, exposure time, and other manual settings, since they're something I'd like to learn. I've browsed Amazon and the like but have been inundated with the quantity of choices I've got. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't exactly lend itself to the newest & grandest cameras out there, so I present this challenge to you:

Can you recommend a trustworthy camera that can found for $225 or less? Color fidelity and sharpness are more important to me than pixel resolution (though I guess the higher number of pixels I have to work with, the better.) As I mentioned, I'd love to have control of every function the camera's got. Optical zoom at least 3x, 5x and anything higher would be neat. No requirements for flash capabilities, as long as there's a meager one built in, that's fine. Any night shots I do generally don't involve lighting large areas. I'd also really appreciate the camera having a viewfinder.

I don't mind at all if the model's a few years old, especially if it's proven to be relatively free of defects. If it's an exceptional camera that you feel has great value, I'd consider something a bit over $225.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

(by the way, I've seen the Kodak EasyShare Z1285. It looks like a nice camera besides some build quality concerns.)

Edits:
    Just saw the sticky. My subjects are more likely to be objects and landscapes rather than people. I'll be using my images as digital art and for photomanipulations, which is why I'd like a high level of clarity. I've read a lot of reviews but generally have a tough time deciding between cameras based on reviews, so if you have any great insight as to a model you love, let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by dsknight; 04-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Re: Small-budget camera with manual options?

Well, if a *bit* could mean a couple hundred, you could go for the Sony DSC-R1, the only truly professional grade point and shoot on the market, its lens alone is better then most people have on their SLR. Combine a 24-120mm Zeiss lens and the only point and shoot APS sensor, and you've got the best P&S money can buy. If that extends the budget a bit too much, both the Minolta A2 and A200 are great alternatives (with slight longer reach @ 28-200), all three have manual focus and zoom rings (so none of that electronically controlled crap), all with your standard manual, aperture and shutter priority modes. The Sony will have much better IQ and much better noise performance as well so 400-1600 shooting is possible, but both do spectacular jobs. The Fuji S9000 may also merit a look, but I'm not as familiar with that particular model.

Most of the newer model "prosumers" are lacking the manual zoom/focus rings, and usually cram way too many megapixels onto a puny sensor, so I am not all that enthusiastic about current prosumer models, but I assure you none will compare to the R1.

In any event, any of those 3 models will make the Kodak you named look like a fisher price kids toy.

Anbesol,

Thanks for your suggestions. The Sony DSC-R1 looks like a great camera, but it's $2,000 (on Amazon), which is a bit more than a couple hundred more than $300 or so. I'd love to get it, but I just can't afford it as photography isn't my main source of income. The Minolta A2 has apparently been discontinued, and the A200 comes in around $900. I'd love to have a camera like one of these but I just can't afford it at this point.

Is there anything around $300ish that would allow me control over most options?

Canon User

Look at the Canon PowerShot series. Great cameras at great prices.
    Adam Hanson
    http://www.myspace.com/phatspeedmotorsports
    Canon PowerShot A470

Wow, great recommendation! I did a bit of searching and found the Powershot SX110IS, which looks like everything I asked for:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...9075489&sr=1-2

Unless I find something better, this looks like a fantastic deal. Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by dsknight
    Anbesol,

Thanks for your suggestions. The Sony DSC-R1 looks like a great camera, but it's $2,000 (on Amazon), which is a bit more than a couple hundred more than $300 or so. I'd love to get it, but I just can't afford it as photography isn't my main source of income. The Minolta A2 has apparently been discontinued, and the A200 comes in around $900. I'd love to have a camera like one of these but I just can't afford it at this point.

Is there anything around $300ish that would allow me control over most options?
    On EBay the R1 is going for $375-$550. I'm surprised its going $2k on Amazon, it was released as $1100 3 years ago :-\

The A2/A200 are going for $225-$325 on ebay. Don't know why Amazon keeps listing them at such high prices.

The Canon SX110IS is also very good and has the manual and priority modes, but doesn't have the manual zoom/focus controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    On EBay the R1 is going for $375-$550. I'm surprised its going $2k on Amazon, it was released as $1100 3 years ago :-\

The A2/A200 are going for $225-$325 on ebay. Don't know why Amazon keeps listing them at such high prices.

The Canon SX110IS is also very good and has the manual and priority modes, but doesn't have the manual zoom/focus controls.
    Ah, good point. I'll check out eBay, but what about this Nikon Coolpix P80? I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-...tit_11_rdssss0

I'm having a hard time finding out exactly which manual controls can be user-controlled through product spec pages. Any easier way than combing through Google for each camera and each function?

To be honest DSKnight, I find electronic zoom and focus control obnoxious, so I don't really keep tabs on cameras that operate on them - that P80's attractive feature would be its huge zoom range, but you do sacrifice in image quality and overall performance. As a general rule, the very best performing consumer point and shoots have always had the manual focus and zoom rings. Though the DSC-R1 is a few years old, there still has not been one single point and shoot that has surpassed it - it even outperforms many of the DSLR's, especially and certainly those used with a kit lens. And, ironically enough, it still outperforms the "prosumer" camera's in higher price brackets built today. Its only "fault" is being a very large point and shoot (looks much more like a small DSLR with a weirdly shaped body), and having relatively short telephoto reach.

I'm having a hard time finding out exactly which manual controls can be user-controlled through product spec pages. Any easier way than combing through Google for each camera and each function?
    "Manual controls" being, specifically? Generally speaking, just look at the switch - if it has the MASP (or, with Canon, M, Av, Tv, and P), then it will also have all the other necessary and important manual controls; white balance, focus selection, metering options, etc. I will not waste my money on a camera that doesn't have those modes.

One thing I think you may find an invaluable tool (if understood and used) is custom white balance option - it is such a huge feature but is frequently overlooked. It is particularly important and useful if you are shooting JPEG's (which, you probably will be), and damn near required for proper color control in indoor lighting.

Avoid buying on eBay. Not because you won't get a good deal, you probably would. But you won't get a warranty and if you do, it may be gray market - which means it won't be honored in the US - meaning you'd have to ship out of the country to get it repaired. Better to stay with Amazon or some other mainstream vendor.

I'd also recommend the Canon Powershot series. In the general ballpark is the Canon SD990IS, which has the new DIGIC IV processor for better facial recognition and image processing. And it has the manual features you're looking for.

If you can swing a bit more, the G9 or G10 is a very popular back up point and shoot for professional photographers. Has a decent 6x optical zoom and manual features.

Ah come on byjames, where else can you get a Sony R1? Tell you what, buy 2 on Ebay, and youre still at less then half of one on amazon. Warranty schmarranty, its quite rare anyone would ever need one.

I'll also strongly disagree with your recommendation. The original poster specifically asked for a camera with "manual options", the Powershot Digital Elphs have none of them, no custom white balance, manual, aperture or shutter priority. The G9 and G10 are decent, but still well out of his price range (and offer inferior IQ to the 2 I recommended)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I like the Canon A series powershots. Not as small as the Elphs, but they do have manual controls. They are not as intuitive as a DSLR or the G series, but they are pretty nice, and quite a bit cheaper. I have sold prints that I have taken with my wifes A550.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

panosonic dmc fz8, it's a little bigger than the canon but a well made camera. Has a kick butt all around lens. It's also capable of shooting in raw(I don't know how though).
    macro mode also, taken indoors with no tripod.

same shot from the first shot but zoomed in on the right rock(Half Dome), I went on a bike ride and when I came back the clouds were coming in. I think I got another one from the first shot when the clouds came in but can't find it.

more from my vacation on my blog.
    http://themacncheese.blogspot.com/

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I'm looking at the Lumix series now too, but it looks like the best options would be eBaying for an R1 or looking at an SX110IS or a Nikon P80. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a bunch, everyone!

Of course, any more suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: I was just looking at the Canon Rebel XS. A DSLR at $500 is very, very appealing. Looks like a good camera for the serious amateur, haha. Any opinions?
    Last edited by dsknight; 04-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If you're willing to go for a DSLR with the higher price, larger size, then it's going to give better quality than P&S.
    The downside is the cost, the size, and the eventual lens collection you'll accumulate.
    One lens just won't be enough, if you're serious, you'll want more.
    But one body will probably last a long time before you reach its limitations.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Instructor is here to help!!!!!!!

I researched and found a new camera that is suitable for you.

Nikon Coolpix S630

Nikon Coolpix S630 is a 12 megapixels point-and-shoot digital camera features 7x Wide-Angle Zoom, EXPEED image processor, 4-Way VR Image Stabilization, Scene Auto Selector, and a 2.7-inch High-Resolution LCD. The camera measures Height: 2.3 in. (57.5mm) x Width: 3.8 in. (96.5mm) x Depth: 1.0 in. (25.5mm) and weighs 4.9 oz. (140g).

Thread Information