Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Which Simple Point-And-Shoot?

OK, I have read a ton of info about digital cameras, and have defined my needs.
    My head is reeling from all the info, so I decided to simply ask the experts.

Currently, I have an older Olympus D510 zoom, 2.1 megapixel. We generally like the camera, but it has a tiny viewscreen (1"?) and we cannot enlarge pics much befere losing resolution.

We are novices, and need an excellent general use (indoor and outdoor, some action), simple "bang-for-the-buck" camera. Our budget is around $200.

Here are our desires, in no particular order:

1. Easy to use. My wife wants to turn it on and start taking pics. I sometimes use the night setting on our current camera (works very well!). Having the ability for manual control might be useful...not sure, though.

2. Perhaps 4 megapixels, which would hopefully allow us to make occasional 8x10's.

3. Probably AA bats. I like the idea of being able to use alkies in a pinch. I also have a nice Vanson charger with eight Energizer 2100 bats. I can get eight 2500 bats under $20, so expensive proprietary bats kinda bug me. I would consider proprietary bats, however.

4. Reasonably priced memory cards. I think SD's are fairly inexpensive...not sure about that. The ability to take a little video would be cool...but isn't required.

5. Reasonably fast shutter. Our Olympus is SLOOOOOOOOWWWW! I am not kidding. It takes over a second for the shutter to release, regardles of whether we are using NiMh, lithiums or alkies. I have missed hundreds of gret shots over this. I hear most newer camers are much better.

6. Budget around $200. Decent software is a plus, but not required. Reliability and customer service are certainly a plus! Size: smaller would be best, but is secondary to overall performance. Oh--I like the zoom on the Olympus...that would be nice. It is a 3x optical zoom.

7. Decent size screen! Ours is small, and measures 37mmx27mm.

Also, my brother-in-law has a Kodak Easyshare which he likes quite a bit. I have tried it, and it is easy to use, and seems to take great pics. Not sure what model, but it has a pretty large viewscreen.
    My monster-in-law has a Sony Cybershot (not sure of model) which also seems to foot the bill, but she said the memory "sticks" were expensive.

So, I have looked around a bit, and have compiled a small list:

1. Canon Powershot A520. Sounds like the "A" series is an excellent line. Seems to get great reviews. Uses AA bats and inexpensive memory cards. I can get it for $195 at a local store. Not sure of ease-of-use.

2. Kodak Easyshare DX7440. Much like my brother's camera, can be had for $164 at a local store. Uses a proprietary battery.

3. Sony Cybershot DSCp73. Uses expensive memory sticks. Cost $188 from local store.

4. Kodak 7530. Great review in Consumer Reports...but apears to be discontinued.

5. Kodak C360. Pretty good reviews...nice price...too good to be true??? I am leaning heavily toward this camera.

6. Kodak Z700. Good price...small viewer...fast shutter...kinda clunky.

What do you think???
    Any and all suggestions welcome!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Bob
    Last edited by pedalinbobby; 11-29-2005 at 06:59 PM.

Thread Information