Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Silly question

Silly question

I have tons of lens from a film camera (Canon), Can you use these lens on a Digital Canon? They are still in great shape.
    Thanks

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Silly question

Depends. If they are EF lenses for a Canon EOS camera, then yes, they will work on any of the current Canon DSLR's. If they are older, manual focus lenses, they will not work on the DSLR's.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Oh thanks they are old ones, my grandfathers we found them and a camera in his attic and they still work not sure how old they are.

You may be able to use them on MANUAL only if they have the same lens mount. If not, you can get an adapter. But they won't give you any automatic functions to be sure.

Thanks for all the input, they are manual. How can I tell if they are the same mount, sorry if that sound silly I'm don't know alot here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by byjamesderuvoDHQ
    You may be able to use them on MANUAL only if they have the same lens mount. If not, you can get an adapter. But they won't give you any automatic functions to be sure.
    That doesn't work with Canon. Canon's FD manual focus lenses have a completely different mount than the EF auto focus mount. There are adapters available. But for most lenses and most photographers, it's not really worth the cost and effort.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The older FD lenses will say something like: "Canon Lens FD XXmm 1:1.8" on the ring surrounding the front element. The new autofocus lenses will say something like: "Canon Lens EF XXmm 1:1.8" in the same area. The key letters are the EF or FD. EF lenses will fit any modern body Canon makes, including DSLRs.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Exactly. Thus the reason I said an adapter may have to be used. And I agree that it's not all that worth it considering a light loss of 1-2 stops and clarity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That doesn't work with Canon. Canon's FD manual focus lenses have a completely different mount than the EF auto focus mount. There are adapters available. But for most lenses and most photographers, it's not really worth the cost and effort.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

But this should excite the film shooters.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

hello all,
    I see you have had some answers both for and against. I say get the adapters and try it out, the older lenses may have a much higher quality for clarity than the new ones. Of course the companies will tell you "It just isn't so", but I know my old Nikon lenses were sharper than what I have now!
    lost something lately......data recovery software

Thread Information