Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Shopping Safely On The Internet

I've been meaning to write this article for, oh, maybe three or four years. And now it's done

Online shopping for camera gear is a little sketchy. There are lots of bottom feeders out there, looking to take advantage of the innocent. The new article lists a couple of the main ripoff techniques and five tips to help keep shoppers from getting ripped off.

Online Digital Camera Shopping Tips >>

Please feel free to add your own tips and experiences in the comments section at the end of the article!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Shopping Safely On The Internet

At first I wondered why you the thread in the Digital Cameras Forum and not dealer feedback but I guess it might get seen more often for the inexperienced shoppers looking for help in this forum.
    Perhaps it can be double posted and show in dealer feedback also.
    Or maybe I should go see if you already did that.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Haven't done it yet. But I was planning to
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been meaning to write this article for, oh, maybe three or four years. And now it's done

Online shopping for camera gear is a little sketchy. There are lots of bottom feeders out there, looking to take advantage of the innocent. The new article lists a couple of the main ripoff techniques and five tips to help keep shoppers from getting ripped off.

Online Digital Camera Shopping Tips >>

Please feel free to add your own tips and experiences in the comments section at the end of the article!
    Hi
    Im planning to buy Digital camera..Actually im confused about this shopping . Thanks for sharing shopping tips....

I personally never felt the need to shop outside of BHPhoto.com, KEH.com, and Adorama.com, all 3 very good complete online retailers (also newegg, but never for imaging gear exc CF cards). Of course, my preferred choice is my local shop, but they don't have everything . I remember long ago seeing a $500 camera for $250 on a website (Minolta A200, back when it was $500), I sent an email to the 'contact us' people saying 'Hey, whats up with this??", never got a response, but that was when I learned about the whole gray market scamming stuff. Glad I didn't get it!

Good article for the novices - I'll stick with flying over to America and buying my gear and being able to hold it, see it before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I personally never felt the need to shop outside of BHPhoto.com, KEH.com, and Adorama.com, all 3 very good complete online retailers .....

Thanks for the Adorama Camera recommendation -but do hold onto my contact details just in case you ever need after-sales support or advice with an order from Adorama.

Thread Information