Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Arrow A Second Camera...

Hello Folks!

Would Like Some Opinions.

Right Now I Shoot With A Sony Cybershot DSCV1, It's A Great Little Camera...I LOVE MY CAMERA But I'm Looking To Up My Pixels....I Would Like To Have A Second Cam, And Have Been Looking At The Cybershot DSCR1 And The Fuji Finepix E900.

In Your Very Knowledgeable Opinions, What Would Be The Better Choice?
    Maybe You Have Another Option You'd Like Ta Share!?

I Love The Price On The Fuji (500 Bucks Less!), But I Get More MP With The Sony...

Help Me To Make A Final Decision!
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to say. ~Author Unknown

I'm Just A Poor Photographer In A PSP World

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: A Second Camera...

Hello Roxy...I just looked at the reviews and specs on these 2 cameras. I think you'd probably be happy with either one. As for the MP's ...at this level...they will be negligible to probably most that you want to do. An extra plus to the Fuji is that it offers a movie mode, where I couldn't find whether or not that the Sony has a video function. I really like the ISO range of the Sony, but I'm not sure at the higher ISO's if you'd get a lot of noise or not. For ISO on the Fuji, it just says "Auto", so I don't know it's actual ISO range and it kind of cuts into your manual control. The Sony seems to have a full manual function which is really nice to have. With the zoom on these 2 cams...the Fuji has only a 4x optical...but a 7+x digital zoom. If used properly, digital can be effective, but most of time you get a lot of digital noise and is best used with a tripod. The Sony has a 5x optical zoom but only a 2x digital. This makes the Sony a bit better in the zoom dept. since in my experience, the digital zoom is only used on occasion, IMHO. One last thing...you are already used to a Sony so your learning curve may be a bit less, but these cameras are designed for the non professionals, so are pretty easy to learn.
    In closing, I think you have to determine what it is that you want. Either camera is an excellent buy!!!
    Good luck...and keep us up to date on what you decide on.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

What do you like to shoot?
    What capture modes do you prefer?
    Do you need a movie mode?
    Do you want compact, or slr-like?

You may want to visit a camera shop and handle each, see which is more comfortable. IMO, the Sony is a better tool. The larger sensor and higher ISO range of the Sony would be nice, and with a larger sensor size, it is likely to have less noise.

Roxy-
    I didn't see anyone mention this specifically, but the Sony R1's sensor is physically larger than sensors in other compact digital cameras. A bigger sensor means bigger pixels and bigger pixels means each pixel will deliver cleaner, richer information. You'll get more resolution and each pixel will have less noise. A pixel isn't just a pixel, you see

I know your post is a month old. But I don't think you bought a new camera yet. So if you do, I think it would be best for you to go with the R1, if you want to stick with a compact. I'd also encourage you to look at the Konica Minolta A200, if they're still available. Here's a link to my Konica Minolta A200 review. It's the best prosumer compact camera I've had the opportunity to use: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...x.aspx?TabID=2
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Roxy-
    I know your post is a month old. But I don't think you bought a new camera yet. So if you do, I think it would be best for you to go with the R1, if you want to stick with a compact. I'd also encourage you to look at the Konica Minolta A200, if they're still available. Here's a link to my Konica Minolta A200 review. It's the best prosumer compact camera I've had the opportunity to use: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...x.aspx?TabID=2
    Sometimes, I even agree with Photo-John! ...or maybe it is that sometimes he agrees with me. The Minolta A200 is one of the few superzooms with 8 megapixels, a stabilizer and 800 X 600 video, so it is very flexible. The swivel LCD means that you can shoot from waist or even various other angles....great for sneaky street shooting!
    So if you can find one, they are well worth it!

Ronnoco

Thread Information