Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

SD870is Can't Transfer movies off the camera???

Greetings-

My father shot some video of my wedding this past weekend on his newish Canon SD870is camera (3 months old), which seems to save videos as AVI files. I have the same camera but just got it and haven't really used it so I don't know it's ins and outs.

He was using an 8gb Sandisk Extreme III card when he shot the pics and vids he took. That's a good quality card AFAIK, so I'd hope he wouldn't be having issues.

He is telling me that he's not able to copy the larger video files off the camera. For instance there's one that's almost 2 gb and he gets nowhere. He also stated that some video files that he did copy, when played on his Mac, had no sound.

He has tried on both his Mac at home and his PC at work. It just seems to not make any progress when importing via iPhoto or when doing a simple copy/paste from the camera.

He has tried 2 different USB cables as well. So we know it's not that.

I told him to try the card in a card reader when he gets home (he's got one that is embedded in his HP multifunction printer) so he will try that tonight after work.

I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on things to try to get these files off the cards, or if anyone has any clue why there would be problems in the first place.

Thanks!

Lightbulb Re: SD870is Can't Transfer movies off the camera???

I read a little about the Canon Powershot SD870-IS, the maximum recording length of a video clip is 1 hour or 4 GB.

I have much trouble copying large movie files from my camera to a PC via the supplied cable, but when I use a memory card reader I don’t have any issues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1. Be patient! Large video files can take 15 minutes or more to transfer with a USB cable. (The exact time depends on the computer’s specifications).

#2. Try using a card reader, they are much faster. (Be sure that it supports 8 GB SDHC cards, because some don’t).

#3. When the computer is importing photos or videos, let it do so. Don’t open folders or browse the web, this can cause problems importing.

#4. Another possibility is that the SDHC card is faulty, but the Extreme cards are indeed high-quality.:thumbsup:

Thread Information