Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Say someone throws $3000 in your lap...

...what digital camera would you buy and why? What accessories would you buy for it? What lens(es) would you purchase?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome - speak your mind!
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

10D with a few L lenses.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Digital Rebel, 70-200 non-IS and the 17-40 L.

ALWAYS spend more on glass than the body, anything else, with few exceptions, is foolish.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    I'd get a used nikon 995 AND A PENTAX 100MM SCOPE WITH THE 38-72X EYE PIECE AND A FIXED 42X HAHAHAHAHA.... DIGISCOPING DUDE!

http://www.birdsofmanitoba.com/

http://www.birdsofmanitoba.com/Baldeagle.htm..... all this from a $400 digital on a $1400 scope ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Nice bird photos, how do you get the camera onto the scope?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    brackets, step-ups, couplers.... some commercial and most homemade. i've seen pipe fittings used even, but most are based on a coupler to fit both the lens and eyepiece.

google the word "digiscoping" or go to Ann Cook's site and search there

http://www.scopetronix.com/digiscopingindex.htm
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Being I'm sure your thinking of spending it on camera gear, the first question would be what are your interests? Ultimately, that's what really matters.

For me, a used 1d to back up my 10d would be just fine. Plus, I do a lot of indoor sports, the 10d's focus isn't the best in these conditions. 4Mp and a 29x19mm sensor it has plenty of resolution to make 11x17's. That's fine for me.

Then I have been thinking of selling my elan 7 and purchasing a voightlander bessa R2 with a 35/1.7 ultron. I still like film for various subjects. But rarely us film anymore. I can survive with the 35mm, the 1.7 means I can get away with 400iso even in low light, and the biggest reason is it can fit in my camera bag Now I don't have to lug two bodies with me.

As far as lenses, I pretty much have the ranges I need covered. I even have one L lens (and three sigma ex lenses)! If I had to chose a lens, it would probably be a 300/2.8L. In reality I would probably opt for the 120-300/2.8ex lens. Again, for indoor sports.

No, I haven't thought about this!

Mike

Thread Information